This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.8728 / 56°52'22"N
Longitude: -3.1851 / 3°11'6"W
OS Eastings: 327861
OS Northings: 776334
OS Grid: NO278763
Mapcode National: GBR W8.P381
Mapcode Global: WH6N5.1JK3
Entry Name: Glendoll Lodge with Squash Court
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398917
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50706
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Cortachy and Clova
Electoral Ward: Kirriemuir and Dean
Parish: Cortachy And Clova
Traditional County: Angus
Circa 1872 with later additions and alterations. 2-storey U-plan picturesque shooting lodge with very decorative pierced bargeboarding to gables and 1st floor dormers and deep bracketed eaves. Painted roughcast harl with painted red sandstone margins. Base course; sandstone window margins with slightly projecting cills; sandstone quoin strips; generally regular fenestration with bargeboarded dormers slightly breaking eaves at 1st floor to all elevations (except service courtyard) and roof outshot between dormers.
FURTHER DETAILS: principal elevation to S: slightly advanced 2-bay gables flanking 3-bay central section with bargeboarded porch at centre; round-arched doorway blocked and replaced by small window. 5-bay entrance range to E with slightly lower 2-bay early 20th century addition to outer right; broad bargeboarded porch in 2nd bay from left with 2 steps to round-arched entrance, timber-boarded panelling to dado, and timber benches; 2-leaf timber panelled front door in plain margined architrave with blocked rectangular fanlight. 3-bay garden elevation to W with later single storey addition to outer left; slightly irregular fenestration with piend-roofed canted bay window at ground to right. Irregularly fenestrated service courtyard to N (rear) with long range to E and shorter range to W; timber-boarded back doors; some rooflights.
Predominantly small-pane glazing in Crittal windows (see Notes). Smart rendered stacks with sandstone cornices and quoin strips; some yellow clay cans. Graded grey Scottish slate. Cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers.
INTERIOR: curved timber staircase with barley-twist cast-iron balusters and decorative newel. Decorative cornicing to principal rooms and plainer cornicing to bedrooms.
SQUASH COURT: circa 1950. 2-storey, 4-bay rectangular-plan, gabled squash court building with deep bracketed eaves. Venetian window to E gable. Roughcast-rendered brick. Bays divided by pilaster-strips (possibly steel frame). Timber-boarded entrance door with small canopy. Welsh slate roof with skylights.
Interior: entrance lobby with cast-iron spiral staircase at far end giving access to balcony above. Squash court with narrow timber floor boards and steel-trussed roof.
OUTBUILDING: small gabled brick outbuilding / stable with Welsh slate roof to W of squash court.
A large and well-designed shooting lodge situated in a secluded position in Glendoll forest. The architectural composition of the building is fairly simple, with 2 regularly fenestrated gabled wings joined by a cross-block, but the rows of very decorative bargeboarded dormers give it a striking appearance. The balance between decoration and simplicity is well-handled with the result that the building is ornate without being fussy. The margined, corniced chimney stacks also contribute to the smart appearance of the building.
According to Alexander Warden, Glendoll Lodge was built by the Earl of Southesk at some point between 1871, when he acquired Clova deer forest, and 1877, when he sold it again. The property passed through a number of hands until the area was acquired by the Forestry Commission in the 1930s. It is likely that the Forestry Commission installed the Crittal windows. It is not known what the original glazing scheme looked like, but one window on the S elevation is bipartite with narrow sash and case windows on each side of a timber mullion, and it is likely that this is an original window. In the 1950s the house was sold to the Youth Hostel Association, who removed most of the interior fixtures including all the fireplaces, interior doors, and any panelling that may have existed. The dormer windows and gableheads probably lost their decorative finials at that time too.
The Squash court is believed to date from the 1950s, and is not shown in a postcard dating from the late 1940s.