History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dinnet Bridge

A Category B Listed Building in Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 57.0717 / 57°4'18"N

Longitude: -2.8898 / 2°53'23"W

OS Eastings: 346150

OS Northings: 798205

OS Grid: NO461982

Mapcode National: GBR WM.8FZ9

Mapcode Global: WH7NG.LJ43

Plus Code: 9C9V34C6+M3

Entry Name: Dinnet Bridge

Listing Name: Dinnet, Bridge over the River Dee

Listing Date: 14 November 2006

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 398935

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50735

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glenmuick, Tullich and Glengairn

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside

Parish: Glenmuick, Tullich And Glengairn

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Meikle Kinord


F A MacDonald and Sons (Glasgow), engineers, 1935. Monumental, reinforced concrete Art Deco bridge with triangular cantilevers originating from square abutments supporting a central suspended span with gently curved shelf on outer aspects. Square abutments rise to form piers at N and S with low pyramidal coping. Wide parapets with ridged vertical and horizontal incised decoration. Some 21st century refurbishment.

Statement of Interest

This is a particularly striking and unusual monumental concrete Art Deco bridge. Of particular note are the two distinctive triangular cantilevered supports. One of only 2 such designs in Scotland - the other is at Hatton Fintray near Aberdeen. The bridge was designed in the inter-war period when many experimental designs for concrete bridges were produced. The bridge replaced an earlier one, which, by 1933 was reported in The Scotsman as being 'altogether unsuitable for modern road traffic'. During recent repair work, a time capsule, containing a letter and some coins was found. This had been left by the original site foreman in 1935.

The firm of F A MacDonald and Sons, still exists under the name of W A Fairhursts.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.