This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0378 / 57°2'16"N
Longitude: -3.0363 / 3°2'10"W
OS Eastings: 337208
OS Northings: 794555
OS Grid: NO372945
Mapcode National: GBR WF.BRVQ
Mapcode Global: WH7NL.BCCL
Plus Code: 9C9R2XQ7+4F
Entry Name: House Of Glenmuick Including Walled Garden And Pavilion, Glenmuick Estate
Listing Name: Glenmuick Estate, House of Glenmuick Including Walled Garden and Pavilion
Listing Date: 14 November 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398946
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50745
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Glenmuick, Tullich and Glengairn
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Parish: Glenmuick, Tullich And Glengairn
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Daniel Gibson, 1898. 2-storey irregular plan with various additions. Tudor style detailing, estate house for Glenmuick Estate. Tooled, squared and coursed granite with red sandstone ashlar dressings to windows and doorways. Located on hillside looking N over Glen Gairn. Prominent large red sandstone mullion and transom windows.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: principal entrance to 8-bay E elevation, semi-circular arched doorway, stepped hoodmoulding over, in broad advanced bay with castellated parapet, to far left advanced tower with small central window, curved corners at ground floor corbelling to square cap house with pyramidal roof. 3-bay N elevation with broad advanced single storey castellated bay to the left with prominent advanced shouldered stack above. 2-storey broad canted bay window to right. 5-bay W elevation, to the right 5-bay W projecting wing broad canted bay window with balustrade to N, to W broad eaves breaking canted 2-storey bay window with parapet. To S (rear) single storey service accommodation (1912), circular corner tower with conical roof to S E corner.
Rectangular fixed and casement leaded windows, 2 and 4-pane sash and case timber windows. Grey slated piended and mansard roofs with lead ridges and flashing. Granite ridge and wallhead stacks with red sandstone linked flues, clay cans. Cast-iron rhones and rhones pipes with decorative hoppers.
INTERIOR: extensive and complex floor plan, mixture of Tudor and Gothic decorative schemes. Ground floor reception rooms have ornate plasterwork, timber panelling to dado, marble, timber and sandstone classical and gothic chimneypieces. 9, 6 and 4-panel timber doors. Inglenook fireplace in entrance hall. Timber open well stair with decorative balusters and newels.
WALLED GARDEN AND PAVILION: Daniel Gibson and T H Mawson. 1898. Large rectangular walled garden to E of Glenmuick House. In N wall, gateway with cut-out semi-circular opening, ornate wrought-iron gate with railings. At N E corner, square pavilion with pyramidal bellcast roof with finial, overhanging eaves, canted bay window to N elevation with glazed doorway, timber lined interior. Tooled, squared and coursed granite garden and pavilion walls, graded grey slated roof to pavilion.
This is a good example of a little altered estate house in the Tudor style which retains its associated walled garden, a vital element in the provision of fresh produce for a 19th century estate. It has a good interior, incorporating Gothic, Tudor and Classical design elements. The house, walled garden and terraced landscaping were conceived as one overall design by the partnership of architect Daniel Gibson and landscape architect Thomas Hayton Mawson. Gibson also designed the 1912 service extension. The earlier Glenmuick House, Sir Samuel Morton Peto (1870) was demolished in 1947. Brackley House, the then dower house became Glenmuick House.
Other nearby listed buildings