This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6085 / 55°36'30"N
Longitude: -2.7703 / 2°46'13"W
OS Eastings: 351569
OS Northings: 635257
OS Grid: NT515352
Mapcode National: GBR 933L.1B
Mapcode Global: WH7WP.F919
Plus Code: 9C7VJ65H+9V
Entry Name: Railway Viaduct
Listing Name: Galafoot, Railway Viaduct over Tweed
Listing Date: 30 March 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399218
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50690
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
Circa 1849 for the North British Railway. 5-arch railway viaduct crossing the River Tweed in an E-W direction. Squared sandstone rubble with ashlar voussoirs to segmental arches. Rusticated sandstone piers. Sandstone parapet with sandstone ashlar copes. Boat-shaped cutwaters on upstream and downstream sides.
This viaduct, known as Tweed Viaduct or Redbridge Viaduct, is a well-preserved and notable example of a railway viaduct of the mid-19th century, related to the Waverley line, which ran from Edinburgh to Carlisle - the most celebrated railway route of Southern Scotland. The viaduct, as well as making a significant visual contribution to this part of Galashiels, is an important survival, both as an example of the engineering related to the construction of the railway, and as a reminder of the prominence of the railway in the 19th century development of the town.
The arrival of the railway in Galashiels is closely linked with a massive increase in textile manufacture and trade in the later 19th century. The railway allowed easy access to both the English market and Lothian coal, which was increasingly used to power Galashiels mills from this date.
The Edinburgh and Hawick Railway was opened in 1849 by the North British Railway and formed the first part of the line from Edinburgh to Carlisle. The railway through Galashiels was initially known as the Border union, but in 1862 the railway was officially named the Waverley line, to emphasise the connection with Walter Scott, as nearby Abbotsford increased in popularity as a literary shrine. In 1856 a branch line opened to Selkirk and in 1866 a line opened to Galashiels from Peebles and Innerleithen. The route eventually closed in 1969.
Other nearby listed buildings