History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Linn Of Dee Bridge, Mar Lodge Estate

A Category B Listed Building in Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside, Aberdeenshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.9882 / 56°59'17"N

Longitude: -3.5457 / 3°32'44"W

OS Eastings: 306170

OS Northings: 789624

OS Grid: NO061896

Mapcode National: GBR KBM7.SLG

Mapcode Global: WH5L8.HMS3

Plus Code: 9C8RXFQ3+7P

Entry Name: Linn Of Dee Bridge, Mar Lodge Estate

Listing Name: Mar Lodge Estate, Linn of Dee Bridge

Listing Date: 14 November 2006

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 399286

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50767

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Crathie and Braemar

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside

Parish: Crathie And Braemar

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Inverey

Description

W Reid. Dated 1857. Large Gothic single-span bridge crossing the Linn of Dee gorge. Squared and coursed pink granite, bull-faced to side piers. Moulded and dentilled band course. Single wide pointed arch, moulded voussoirs, flanking buttresses. Crenellated parapet, stepping up to blank cartouche to E elevation, inscription to W.

Statement of Interest

Linn of Dee Bridge is particularly distinctive for its well-detailed use of the then fashionable Gothic style; none of the other Dee crossings make use of this style. It is also a fine example of granite construction particular to the area. This bridge replaced a timber structure which in turn had replaced an alpine timber bridge which was swept away by the 'Muckle Spate' of 1829. Prior to that the crossing had been made on a plank. The bridge was opened by Queen Victoria on the 8th of September 1857, an event commemorated by a plaque on the bridge which reads 'THIS BRIDGE OVER THE LINN OF DEE ERECTED BY JAMES FIFTH EARL OF FIFE WAS OPENED ON THE 8TH SEPTEMBER 185(7 worn away) BY HER MAJESTY QUEEN VICTORIA, W REID ARCH'. Cartouche on W elevation formerly depicted the arms of the Earls of Fife.

The Dictionary of Scottish Architects has a record of an architect named William Reid (1825-1893) who worked extensively in this region around the time that Linn of Dee Bridge was built. It is feasible that this is the same architect although it has not been possible to confirm this. (2006).

Recommended Books

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.