This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.8976 / 57°53'51"N
Longitude: -6.7986 / 6°47'54"W
OS Eastings: 115784
OS Northings: 899896
OS Grid: NG157998
Mapcode National: GBR 97LV.JRL
Mapcode Global: WGX35.JRSG
Plus Code: 9C9MV6X2+3H
Entry Name: Tarbert Stores, The Pier, Tarbert
Listing Name: Tarbert, the Pier, Tarbert Stores
Listing Date: 9 February 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399328
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50799
Building Class: Cultural
County: Na h-Eileanan Siar
Electoral Ward: Na Hearadh agus Ceann a Deas nan Loch
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Probably circa 1900. Interesting and unusual tall 2-storey, 3-bay, M-gabled, rectangular-plan shop on ground falling steeply to S. Part rendered-brick and part concrete base (taller and slightly battered at rear) giving way to vertical timber boarding at E, N and W, corrugated iron to S.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: entrance elevation to E with broad door immediately to left of centre and large window abutting at right, door in bay to left and further window to right; 3 regularly-disposed horizontal windows close to eaves at 1st floor. N gables with 2 boarded timber loft doors at 1st floor.
Horizontally-aligned timber-framed windows with 4-pane glazing pattern at ground and 6-pane at 1st floor. Corrugated iron roof with timber barge-boards. Decorative cast iron rainwater hopper to S.
INTERIOR: low-ceilinged ground floor store with traditional timber fittings.
Prominently sited on the old road leading to Tarbert Pier, Tarbert Stores continues largely as originally purposed in supplying the needs of fishermen and other tradesmen in an area which had virtually no road access before the 20th century. Owing to the lack of local materials and high cost of transport, timber is an unusual building material for the area. However, this simple and practical timber construction is thought to have been funded by a local benefactress, with both the design as well as the timbers deriving from Swedish origins as cargoes of fish were exported to Sweden and the timber purchased for return ballast.
Tarbert was established in 1779 as a fishing settlement. 'The historic capital of Harris and the old port of entry was Rodil (sic)' (Shaw Grant). By 1836 Alexander Norman Macleod had sold Harris to the 5th Earl of Dunmore and Lady Catherine became an important benefactress. She funded much needed restoration at Rodel Church and in 1849 set up an embroidery school as well as supporting the growing Harris Tweed industry. If Lady Catherine was the benefactress of Tarbert Stores, the building may have been erected significantly earlier than 1900, but it does not appear on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1876. It is, therefore, more likely that the benefactress was Lady Emily Scott, or one of her successors, as Sir Edward Scott took over the North Harris Estate from the bankrupt Earl of Dunmore in 1868.
Other nearby listed buildings