This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4251 / 55°25'30"N
Longitude: -2.7886 / 2°47'18"W
OS Eastings: 350186
OS Northings: 614860
OS Grid: NT501148
Mapcode National: GBR 85ZQ.22
Mapcode Global: WH7XG.4WCX
Plus Code: 9C7VC6G6+2H
Entry Name: 24 Commercial Road
Listing Name: 24 Commercial Road, Shorts of Hawick
Listing Date: 1 March 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399342
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50815
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Hawick and Denholm
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
1856. 3-storey, 3- by 7-bay, palazzo-style warehouse with round-arched windows, consoled balcony to principal elevation and piended roof. Finely jointed coursed stugged sandstone, projecting ashlar quoins and margins. Principal (N) elevation with projecting cornice course to 1st storey, string course to 2nd and moulded eaves course. Regular fenestration with margined openings to all floors.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: 3-bay principal (N) elevation; entrance to centre, scroll consoled balustraded balcony above. Round-arched windows with prominent keystones bearing saltires. Side elevations with single and paired metal wall ties at 1st and 2nd storey. E elevation with round-arched pend to left (now window); architraved entrance to right and metal fire escape staircase to upper floor.
Vertically sliding sash and case windows to principal elevation, 8-pane glazing in fixed lights with top hoppers to side elevations. Grey slate. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: Not seen (2006).
This building is one of the finest remaining multi-storey warehouses in Hawick. Although an industrial building, and therefore built to a regular design, it is marked out by its proportions and the quality of its architectural detail, especially on the principal elevation. Through its setting and appearance it makes a very prominent contribution to the townscape. The building was built as a warehouse for Messrs Laing and Irvine.
Between 1898 and 1914 it was occupied by Messrs Currie, Lee and Gawn, before Messrs Drummond and Laing Ltd between 1915 and 1918, thereafter it was owned by Peter Scott and Co. It is now known as Shorts of Hawick and is still in commercial use. Recent works have removed non-traditional additions.
Hawick is famous for its high-quality textiles. Historically the town was responsible for the production of high-quality garments, woollen knitwear, hosiery and, above all, cashmere. The burgh is located at the meeting of the River Teviot and the Slitrig water, which provided the essential element for the success of the mills, an abundance of fast flowing water. The burgh had many small cottage mills in 1800 but gradually, as mechanisation took over more and more of the processes, larger mills were constructed. During the 19th century, water power was superseded by steam power, and many of the mills were converted to steam with the introduction of engine and boiler houses (although water continued to be used as source well into the 20th century). The industry led to Hawick at one time being one of the richest burghs in Scotland per capita.
List description revised as part of the Hawick Burgh Resurvey (2008).
Other nearby listed buildings