History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fountain At East Lodge Fishing Hut, Murthly Castle Policies

A Category C Listed Building in Little Dunkeld, Perth and Kinross

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.5378 / 56°32'16"N

Longitude: -3.4899 / 3°29'23"W

OS Eastings: 308472

OS Northings: 739414

OS Grid: NO084394

Mapcode National: GBR V5.834X

Mapcode Global: WH5NF.CXDY

Plus Code: 9C8RGGQ6+42

Entry Name: Fountain At East Lodge Fishing Hut, Murthly Castle Policies

Listing Name: Murthly Castle Policies, Fountain at East Lodge Fishing Hut

Listing Date: 14 March 2007

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 399378

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50824

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Little Dunkeld

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Strathtay

Parish: Little Dunkeld

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Delvine

Description

Probably early to earlier 19th century. Fine classical ashlar drinking fountain sited immediately to SW of later separately listed Fishing Hut on raised ground overlooking River Tay in parkland of Murthly Castle. Squared rubble with stugged and polished ashlar dressings. Rectangular-plan stepped area and low coped wall incorporating taller drinking fountain comprising pilastered stand with raised semicircular pediment at centre over deeply moulded panel with stone bowl on plinth below relief carved lion's head water spout and incised inscription (see Notes).

Statement of Interest

This unusually fine drinking fountain is situated close to the eastern entrance to Murthly Castle. Although no longer used and somewhat overgrown, the fountain is in good condition and may have included some sort of formalised sitting area commanding river views. The Inventory entry for Murthly Castle says it is 'An outstanding landscape which makes a major contribution to the surrounding Tay Valley scenery and provides an attractive setting for several category A listed buildings'. Within the vast Murthly Estate policies, this area has long been a popular fishing spot and the fountain may have been installed for the use of fishing parties prior to the building of the adjacent lunch hut during the middle years of the 19th century. However, the formality of the fountain is reminiscent of the type found within formal gardens closer to the big house, so it was probably also intended to provide refreshment for those following one of the many formal walks in the outer policies. The somewhat eroded two line inscription appears to be in English possibly with the word 'BANK' closing the first line and 'DRINK' closing the second. The Parkland, laid out in the 17th and 18th centuries was enlarged and completely remodelled by John Wallace in 1830. His massive scheme created parkland throughout the policies at a time when it was not unusual for imported antiquities to be incorporated into such designs. The revived popularity of formal gardens led to 'foreign sites sometimes being plundered for the benefits of Scots gardens and courtyards' (Buxbaum). Groome says of Murthly Castle that 'The grounds are of singular beauty, both natural and artificial, with the 'Dead Walk' or ancient yew-tree avenue, the Douglasii Avenue, the Lime Avenue (1711), the Deodara or Sunk Terrace, and every variety of hill and dell, wood and stream, carriage-drive and sequestered walk'.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.