This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1485 / 57°8'54"N
Longitude: -2.0932 / 2°5'35"W
OS Eastings: 394460
OS Northings: 806404
OS Grid: NJ944064
Mapcode National: GBR SD4.LD
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.TLF7
Entry Name: 8 and 10 King Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399601
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50950
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1805. 4-storey, 4-bay Classical tenement with altered commercial premises to ground. Grey granite ashlar, rubble to rear. Band course, cill courses, eaves cornice. 6-panel timber entrance door to far left with multi-pane glazed rectangular fanlight above. Off-centre deep-set timber and glass entrance door to commercial premises.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows, plate glass to ground. Coped gable stacks.
Nos 8-10 King Street, with its restrained Classical style was the first tenement to be built on the main thoroughfare of King Street and forms an essential component of the planned streetscape. An early print of 1840 suggests that the ground floor was originally arcaded The bold town planning which created Union Street and King Street was the defining gesture which allowed Aberdeen to develop from an contained Medieval Burgh to rational modern city. This importance is recognised in the B Group designation for this first section of King Street.
King Street developed after 1794, when a town council meeting asked the engineer Charles Abercrombie to find a way to connect the original steep, muddled Medieval streets of Aberdeen to the surrounding countryside. His plan was for two streets, one of which would run from Castlegate to the Denburn and the other which would run from the Castlegate to the North of the town. The latter was King Street. A competition for designs for this new street brought forward a design from Thomas Fletcher and David Burn. This was to be a long classical façade, with a pedimented centrepiece and higher end blocks. This design was begun here in 1805 with nos 8-10, which is one storey higher than its neighbours to the North. The idea of a standard uniform terrace, however, was abandoned when negotiations had to be entered into with owners regarding the length of the frontages and the heights of the buildings. It was then decided to allow some variations between designs.
Part of B Group with 5 Castle Street, Nos 1-56 (inclusive nos) King Street and St Andrews Episcopal Cathedral.
Other nearby listed buildings