History in Structure

Barn To Rear Of Cottages At Newton Row, Barn Brae

A Category C Listed Building in Inveraray, Argyll and Bute

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.226 / 56°13'33"N

Longitude: -5.0772 / 5°4'37"W

OS Eastings: 209333

OS Northings: 707970

OS Grid: NN093079

Mapcode National: GBR FDV8.15D

Mapcode Global: WH1JN.ZRGZ

Plus Code: 9C8P6WGF+94

Entry Name: Barn To Rear Of Cottages At Newton Row, Barn Brae

Listing Name: Barn Brae, Barn to Rear of Cottages at Newton Row

Listing Date: 13 September 2007

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 399733

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50993

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200399733

Location: Inveraray

County: Argyll and Bute

Town: Inveraray

Electoral Ward: Mid Argyll

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


Circa 1774. Substantial, 2-storey, gabled, rectangular barn with distinctive narrow-slitted openings with splayed embrasures to upper level, 6 to side walls and 3 to each gable. Random rubble. Irregular arrangement of doors and windows to ground. Original openings with round-arrised schist margins.

Grey Scottish slate. Cast iron rain water goods.

INTERIOR: Cobbled floor. Upper floor missing. Timber beamed roof.

Statement of Interest

This substantial two-storey gabled barn constitutes a significant survival of the agricultural development of the Fisherlands area of Inveraray during the late 18th century. Probably retaining its original 1770s form and plan, ventilation to the former upper-level hayloft is provided by distinctive slits with slanted embrasures at all elevations. These lend the structure a considerable part of its character. Situated directly behind (but not attached to) a run of single-storey 19th century cottages bordering Loch Fyne, its roofline rises above the cottages providing group interest while its principal South elevation is visible from the A83 approach road to Inveraray.

The building was part of a group of agricultural improvements made by the 5th Duke of Argyll to the Fisherlands area of Inveraray estate during the early 1770s. The group originally formed a set-piece at the W end of the Inveraray avenue, as can be seen on John Wood's map of 1825. Much of this work was overseen by the architects Robert and William Mylne, members of the renowned Mylne family and master masons to the Crown of Scotland throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. The brothers continued to provide designs for work at Inveraray into the early years of the 19th century. The RCAHMS Inventory for Argyll - Vol 7 suggests that their plans for the improvements in the Fisherlands area would have included this structure.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.