Latitude: 55.9526 / 55°57'9"N
Longitude: -3.1738 / 3°10'25"W
OS Eastings: 326798
OS Northings: 673907
OS Grid: NT267739
Mapcode National: GBR 8SF.LN
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.6NX1
Plus Code: 9C7RXR3G+2F
Entry Name: Queen's Gallery (Former Holyrood Free Church And Former Free Church School), Holyroodhouse
Listing Name: Holyroodhouse, Queen's Gallery (Former Holyrood Free Church and Former Free Church School)
Listing Date: 26 September 2008
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400036
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51177
Building Class: Cultural
Also known as: Holyroodhouse, Queen's Gallery (former Holyrood Free Church And Former Free Church School)
The Queen's Gallery
Queen's Gallery, Edinburgh
ID on this website: 200400036
Archibald Simpson, 1846 and John Henderson 1850 (former Free church), converted 2002 by Benjamin Tindall Architects to form art gallery. 3-storey, 6-bay, Neo-Jacobean former Free School and 4-bay, T-plan gabletted Gothic former Free church, situated on corner of Horses Wynd and Abbey Strand with gable elevations to Horses Wynd (W). Squared and coursed sandstone with raised margins to former school, squared and snecked sandstone to former church. Circa 2000 entrance created between church and school with central round arch with lettering 'THE QUEEN'S GALLERY' above. Base course to former church, cill courses.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: principle elevation to W: former church to left with slightly advanced gabled porch with hoodmoulded doorway and 2-leaf timber door. 2-light tracery window (now blocked) above and prominent, gabled bellcote above with 2 recessed openings and cross finial above. 2-light openings to N with stone mullions. Single-bay gabled entrance opening abuts Abbey Courthouse (see separate listing).
To right: former school with off-centre round-arched doorway with boarded timber entrance doors. Window openings above with strapwork ornament. Recessed section to left with tall round-arched window. S elevation with segmental-arched openings to ground, strapwork ornament to 1st floor openings and cornice course to top storey, pedimented over windows.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows with 6-pane fixed windows above to former school and diamond lead pane with top hoppers windows to former church. Multi-pane glass and timber 2-leaf doors to ground at S. Grey slates. Roll-ended skews and scroll skew-putts. Coped, gable stack with 3 square-plan flues.
INTERIOR: (seen 2007). Comprehensively modernised with both buildings incorporated into large gallery on 1st floor. Open timber roof. Shop and offices to ground. Curved imperial stair with curved timber balusters and timber banister, constructed 2002.
The ground beneath the Palace of Holyroodhouse and nearby structures (including Croft-an-Righ House, the buildings on the N side of Abbey Strand and the buildings around Mews Court) is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 for its archaeological importance. The upstanding remains of Holyrood Abbey and Queen Mary's Bath are also scheduled monuments. Significant upstanding and below-ground archaeological remains may survive as part of and in addition to the structures and features described above.
Prominently positioned on the corner of Horses' Wynd and Abbey Strand this former school and church are now combined to form the art gallery, The Queen's Gallery. Converted (2002) they are an important part of the streetscape in this historic and architecturally rich part of the city. They also form part of the wider stable complex of buildings associated with the Holyroodhouse.
The church and school are thought to have been intended as a single construction, but Archibald Simpson, who had already designed the Gordon Schools for the Duchess in Huntly, died after the completion of the school but before the church could be built. The church was then completed by John Henderson 4 years later, but with a reduced budget. The school's playground was situated on the ground floor as the arches were originally open and 2 large classrooms were placed above. It was converted into Chauffeurs' accommodation in the 1920s. The church was built with a seating capacity of 700 (marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1849-53), but the congregation had moved from the building by the end of the 19th century. Both buildings were built by gifts from the 'Good Duchess' of Gordon (1794-1864) who devoted much of her time and energy to giving money for schools and churches and who was a frequent visitor to the Old Town of Edinburgh.
Archibald Simpson (1790-1847), was one of the major architects involved in designing the expanding nineteenth century city of Aberdeen. John Henderson (1804-62) was a pupil of Thomas Hamilton and specialised somewhat in church buildings. The buildings were converted to form an art gallery in 2002 by Benjamin Tindall Architects.
Part of A-group comprising: Palace of Holyroodhouse; 28 and 30 Croft-An-Righ (Croft-An-Righ House); Abbey Strand Eastern Building; Abbey Strand Western Building; Queen Mary's Bath House; North Garden Sundial; Palace Forecourt Fountain; Abbey Court House; Gatehouse and Former Guard Rooms; Palace Coach House; Stables; Queen's Gallery (see separate listings).
The former school was previously listed with Holyroodhouse gateway. List description updated 2013.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings