This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9379 / 55°56'16"N
Longitude: -4.1542 / 4°9'15"W
OS Eastings: 265537
OS Northings: 673745
OS Grid: NS655737
Mapcode National: GBR 13.YW5X
Mapcode Global: WH4Q2.502R
Plus Code: 9C7QWRQW+58
Entry Name: 23-27 Townhead
Listing Name: 23-27 Townhead
Listing Date: 16 September 2010
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400490
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51592
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Dunbartonshire
Electoral Ward: Lenzie and Kirkintilloch South
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
Early 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay, near symmetrical building with nepus gable and shops to ground (now offices to upper storey, 2010). Coursed, tooled rubble, painted at upper storeys. Eaves band; raised margins. Steps to central entrance close with commemorative plaque above (see Notes). Shop to right with entrance door and window to far right, modern shop front to left. Central gable with pair of window openings and coped stack to apex. Circular stair tower to rear with conical slated roof. Single storey extension to rear.
Predominantly non-traditional glazing pattern. Grey slates. Raised skew and skewputt to left ridge.
INTERIOR: (seen 2010). Spiral staircase to rear of close to access upper storey. Upper storey with some tiled fireplaces with cast iron fire grates. Room plan comprehensively modernised.
This early 19th century town building is little altered externally and is a significant addition to the streetscape in the centre of Kirkintilloch. Built in a typical Scottish burgh format with a symmetrical elevation with a nepus gable. The shop front at No 27 with its single modest window opening is rare as many similar shop fronts have been enlarged over the years. The nepus gable is a traditional way of lighting an attic space and adds to the architectural interest of the building.
The house was the birthplace of the chemist Archibald Scott Couper (1831-1892). He introduced the ideas which are the basis of the modern structural theory of organic chemistry and a plaque commemorating this is placed above the entrance close opening.
Kirkintilloch developed from a small settlement after the opening of the Forth and Clyde Canal in 1775. Industries such as spinning, weaving and boat-building became increasingly important in the town and it expanded both in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Other nearby listed buildings