This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9789 / 55°58'44"N
Longitude: -4.2139 / 4°12'50"W
OS Eastings: 261952
OS Northings: 678426
OS Grid: NS619784
Mapcode National: GBR 11.W79H
Mapcode Global: WH4PN.7ZMC
Plus Code: 9C7QXQHP+HC
Entry Name: Lennoxtown, Stone Bridge Over Former Railway Near East Lodge
Listing Name: Stone Bridge over Former Railway Near East Lodge, Lennoxtown
Listing Date: 16 September 2010
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400492
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51594
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Dunbartonshire
Electoral Ward: Bishopbriggs North and Campsie
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Circa 1866. Single span segmental-arched bridge over former railway line (now pathway, 2010) with castellated parapet. Bull-faced stone with ashlar margins and parapet. Impost course. Saddle-backed coping. Square-plan capped corner piers to parapet.
This former railway bridge has a distinctive castellated parapet in contrast to the other plainer bridges along this route and is situated within the policies of category A-listed Lennox Castle (see separate listing). The parapet sets it apart from the other bridges in this stretch of the former railway line and is a result of its link to Lennox Castle.
As the railway line was to pass through land owned by the Lennox family, special consideration appears to have been given to the design of the bridge as it was located close to the castle itself. Information from Lennox family papers note an agreement between the Honourable Mrs Margaret Lennox of Woodhead and Kincaid and the Blane Valley Railway Company, 1864 which says that the bridge should be 24 feet wide with an ornamental parapet and placed at a slight skew to suit the line of a new approach to the Castle.
This section of the Blane Valley railway was opened in 1866. It closed in 1966. Much of the former railway is now a footpath.
Lennox Castle was constructed in 1837-1841 by the well-known Glasgow architect David Hamilton for the Lennox Family. It was used as a hospital during the First World War, 1914-18. The Castle was sold to Glasgow Parish Council in 1927, together with its ancillary buildings and in 1936, a new hospital for mentally handicapped patients was built in the grounds. This closed in 2002. The original Castle suffered fire damage in 2008.
Other nearby listed buildings