History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Spital, 15 and 17 Spital

A Category B Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.1575 / 57°9'26"N

Longitude: -2.0999 / 2°5'59"W

OS Eastings: 394056

OS Northings: 807407

OS Grid: NJ940074

Mapcode National: GBR SC6.1L

Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.QC8B

Entry Name: Spital, 15 and 17 Spital

Listing Date: 3 June 2011

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 400681

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51757

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Town: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Old Aberdeen

Description

Mid to late 19th century. Pair of 3-bay, single storey and attic, Classically-detailed Aberdeen town houses adapted by Sir J Ninian Comper in 1890s as part of the adjoining St Margaret of Scotland Convent (see Notes). Stugged granite ashlar with base and eaves courses. Central doors below consoled canopies and flanking windows; canted dormer windows with bracketed eaves course to outer bays and later tri-partite dormers to centre. Ashlar skews with moulded skewputts. Harled 2-storey gabled outshots to rear.

No15 has tall single-storey infill block, probably a former Chapel, with canted gable, large rectangular rooflight and 2 pointed-arch windows with coloured glass from N party wall of adjacent convent wing (see separate listing).

Predominantly 4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Cast iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.

INTERIOR: well-detailed interior retaining decorative plasterwork, fireplaces and cast iron balusters (seen 2008).

Statement of Interest

Part of an 'A' Group including 'Spital, St Margaret of Scotland Chapel and Former Convent Wing' (see separate listing).

This pair of good quality Aberdeen town houses are well detailed in plain classical style with consoled door canopies. Prominently sited on high ground on the main road to Old Aberdeen and grouping well with the adjoining Chapel, they were adapted and internally linked to the Chapel as part of a wider convent scheme by nationally renowned architect Sir J Ninian Comper, adding to their interest. They have more recently been converted back to self-contained dwellings (2011).

J Ninian Comper (1864-1960) was born in Aberdeen, the son of an Episcopalian clergyman. Working in Scotland, England and Wales, his list of ecclesiastical commissions is vast, incorporating all aspects of restoration and additional work as well as new churches and memorials. Major churches designed by Comper include St Cyprian, Clarence Gate, Marylebone in England, and St Margaret's at Braemar and St Mary's at Kirriemuir in Scotland.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.