This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6158 / 55°36'56"N
Longitude: -3.4114 / 3°24'40"W
OS Eastings: 311203
OS Northings: 636704
OS Grid: NT112367
Mapcode National: GBR 43MH.7Q
Mapcode Global: WH6V7.K3RP
Plus Code: 9C7RJH8Q+8F
Entry Name: Dumra, Broughton
Listing Name: Broughton, Dumra
Listing Date: 23 February 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 400769
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB51816
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Broughton, Glenholm and Kilbucho
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Tweeddale West
Parish: Broughton, Glenholm And Kilbucho
Traditional County: Peeblesshire
Late 18th century with later 19th and early and late 20th century alterations. Dated 1872. Single storey 5-bay, L-plan street front cottage on the main street of the village. Squared, coursed whinstone rubble with sandstone quoins and margins. Painted and rendered rear section. Early 21st century uPVC conservatory to re-entrant angle to rear.
Bi-fold timber boarded entrance door with pen-light over. 8-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Small grey graded slate roofs, corniced ashlar stack with octagonal clay cans. Corrugated roof to rear section.
INTERIOR: modernised with alterations to original plan layout.
B-Group with Avernish, Broughton Green House, Broughton Stores, Dassfauld, Kintyre Cottage, The Lodge.
Dumra is a good example of a small village cottage centrally located on the main street of the village and making a good contribution to the streetscape and local area.
Broughton Village was developed as an estate village to the former Broughton House and owned by the Lairds of the Barony of Broughton until 1921 at which point it was put up for public sale. The Symington, Broughton and Biggar Railway was opened in 1860 allowing business men to travel daily to Glasgow and Edinburgh resulting in an expansion of the village with new villas being built although the main street has retained its distinct early 19th century form.
Dumra was originally two houses but was joined to form one when it was sold off from the estate in 1921. The earlier doorway to the north side is now blocked to form a window. The northern most dwelling was a one roomed house with a pantry and box beds that, in the earlier 20th century was used to house workers for the slaughterhouse at Corstane. The inscription AJ & EM 1870 over the door is believed to be the initials of the McQueen Laird at that time. This inscription also appears on The Lodge at the far end of the street.
Formerly listed as part of a long run of cottages, 'Broughton Village, 7 Cottages, Broughton Green House, Etc (See Paper List for Full Details)' List description updated and category changed from B to C(S) in 2011 following reassessment of the street.
Other nearby listed buildings