History in Structure

Session House, Scone Old Parish Church, Burnside, New Scone

A Category B Listed Building in Scone, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.4144 / 56°24'51"N

Longitude: -3.4079 / 3°24'28"W

OS Eastings: 313231

OS Northings: 725572

OS Grid: NO132255

Mapcode National: GBR V7.BXXH

Mapcode Global: WH6QC.M1DH

Plus Code: 9C8RCH7R+QR

Entry Name: Session House, Scone Old Parish Church, Burnside, New Scone

Listing Name: Scone, Old Parish Church (Church of Scotland), Including Session House, Churchyard, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 5 October 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 401376

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18361

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200401376

Location: Scone

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Strathmore

Parish: Scone

Traditional County: Perthshire

Tagged with: Architectural structure Session house

Find accommodation in
New Scone


1804 and John Bell, 1833-4 (see Notes). Gothic, T-plan church, situated within church yard. Pinned rubble with raised, ashlar margins. Part-glazed entrance doors to E and W elevations with Venetian-style windows above. W elevation with ogee-capped Doric pillared bellcote with 1614 bell; datestone 1784 at base. Other, rectangular and pointed-arch window openings, some champfered. Interior includes outstanding 17th century Stormont pew.

Predominantly fixed timber windows; some with simple tracery. Grey slates, raised skews.

INTERIOR: (seen, 2012). Refurnished, 1966. Timber pews, pulpit and communion table. Contains 1616, elaborately carved, columned and canopied timber Stormont pew with 2 aediculed coats of arms and elaborate finials at top (see Notes).

SESSION HOUSE: 1877, John Macdonald. Single storey, irregular-plan session house, situated near to entrance to kirkyard. Coursed rubble. Canted pedimented entrance bay to SW, with shouldered door-case with panelled timber entrance door with fanlight above. Predominantly multi-pane timber sash and case windows. Irregular piended roofs, grey slates. Raised skews to gable. Tall, coped, wallhead stacks. INTERIOR: (seen, 2012). Original room layout largely intact. Slatted timber-panelled session room with decorative cornice and open timber roof.

CHURCHYARD: surrounds church. Variety of gravestones, including some with carvings, some Celtic crosses, dating from early 19th century. Includes 1840-1, large, elaborate, Baroque monument to David Douglas (see Notes); stepped plinth; clasping pilasters; inscribed face to S; vases to corners. Surmounted by decorative foliate scroll, topped by urn.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: walls to N, S, E and W. Coped rubble walls. Capped, square-plan gatepiers to E.

Statement of Interest

Place of Worship in use as such.

This is a good example of an early 19th century church, containing an outstanding and rare 17th century timber pew. The church is situated within its own churchyard and forms an integral group with the session house, graveyard and boundary walls.

The village of New Scone was built in 1804-5, when the previous Scone village was demolished to make way for the current enlargement of Scone Palace Estate (see separate listing). The parish church at Scone, built in 1784 was dismantled and re-erected in this present position. This church was one of the first buildings in the new village. The church was originally rectangular in form, with the north aisle being built in 1833-4 by John Bell, of Perth. It was repaired and partly renewed under supervision of John Macdonald in 1872. In 1966-7, the interior of the church was refurbished and a new pulpit, pews and E and W galleries were installed. The entrance door was also moved at this time from the S wall to the E gable.

The Stormont pew was constructed for the area's principal landowner, David, first Lord Scone. It is thought to have come from Denmark. It is made of oak and elaborately detailed and has 2 coats-of arms. One is inscribed "David, Lord Skone" and the other, "Elizabeth Lady Skone".

David Douglas (1799-1834) was born in Scone. He was a botanist and plant collector who introduced the Douglas fir into Scotland.

List description and statutory address updated, 2013.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.