This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0412 / 56°2'28"N
Longitude: -5.4227 / 5°25'21"W
OS Eastings: 186899
OS Northings: 688435
OS Grid: NR868884
Mapcode National: GBR DDZR.BVT
Mapcode Global: WH0JB.NFY2
Plus Code: 9C8P2HRG+FW
Entry Name: (Former Poorhouse) Including Aros Cottage And Boundary Wall, Aros Building, Argyll And Bute Health Board Headquarters, Blarbuie Road, Lochgilphead
Listing Name: Lochgilphead, Blarbuie Road, Argyll and Bute Health Board Headquarters, Aros Building, (Former Poorhouse) Including Aros Cottage and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 17 April 2013
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 401958
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB52027
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Mid Argyll
Traditional County: Argyllshire
David Crow, 1861. 2-storey, 13-bay, symmetrical, gabled former poorhouse, with long 2-storey wings to N forming U-plan and incorporating separate cottage in courtyard (currently offices, 2012). Random rubble with contrasting smooth ashlar margins and quoins. Band course. Some simple timber bargeboarding; bracketted timber eaves. Single and bipartite window openings. Concrete harl to wings.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION): advanced central 3 bays with further advanced gabled central entrance bay. 2-leaf timber entrance door with fanlight above; flanking bays with tripartite window openings. Flanking recessed outer 5-bay sections with advanced gabled central bays.
INTERNAL COURTYARD: S ELEVATION: symmetrical. Central, lower gabled extension with advanced wings.
Predominantly single- and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Corniced ridge and gable stacks.
INTERIOR: (seen, 2012). Comprehensively altered to provide office accommodation.
AROS COTTAGE: to N. Situated within courtyard. Single-storey, 6-bay cottage. Rubble with smooth margins. Bracketted timber eaves. Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates; gable stacks.
Coped boundary wall to S with central path.
This is a good and little externally altered example of a former poorhouse, built for a rural community by David Crow, a local architect and builder. The building retains its symmetrical, gabled front elevation and the original U-shape plan form is little altered, clearly demonstrating its former function. There is a separate single storey building to the rear of the property within the courtyard, which is likely to have been an infirmary block. The property was damaged by fire in the 1920s, and has been adapted in the interior, but is notable for the retention of much of its exterior appearance and plan, including the exterior walls around the former infirmary building.
A small number of poorhouses were built in Scotland between the years of 1848 and 1870, after the introduction of the 1845 Scottish Poor Law Act. Although there had been some poorhouses built before this, there was no national overseeing body and the care was inconsistent across the country. The Act instituted a central Board of Supervision to oversee the provision throughout Scotland. As a result, model plans were published for the construction of both rural and town poorhouses. Lochgilphead poorhouse is close in style to the model plans drawn up by Mackenzie and Mathews, being of two storeys and gables to break up the institutional appearance of the main front. Although each area slightly adapted these for its own requirements, the symmetry, gabled elevations and U-plan outline were widespread. With the change in legislation in the 20th century, many former poorhouses have been demolished or altered.
Other nearby listed buildings