History in Structure

Aberdeen, Woolmanhill, Former Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Former Porter's Lodge

A Category B Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 57.1493 / 57°8'57"N

Longitude: -2.1053 / 2°6'19"W

OS Eastings: 393724

OS Northings: 806490

OS Grid: NJ937064

Mapcode National: GBR SBF.G0

Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.MKNN

Plus Code: 9C9V4VXV+PV

Entry Name: Aberdeen, Woolmanhill, Former Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Former Porter's Lodge

Listing Name: Former Porter's Lodge, Former Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Woolmanhill, Aberdeen

Listing Date: 19 June 2014

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 402340

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB52240

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200402340

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Town: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: Midstocket/Rosemount

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Tagged with: Hospital building

Find accommodation in


Probably W & J Smith and Kelly (H Saxon Snell acting as consultant), 1887-97. Single storey, square plan neo-classical former porter's lodge, part of a significant nineteenth century hospital complex in Aberdeen city centre. Channelled granite. Base course, moulded eaves course with blocking course above. Entrance to north elevation with 2-leaf timber and glazed doors and 4-pane rectangular fanlight. Some blocks openings. 6-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows.

Statement of Interest

The Porter's Lodge is an important ancillary component of the former Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, which is a rare example of a hospital that has not been significantly altered externally since the late nineteenth century. The good neo-classical detailing of the building has been directly inspired by the earlier Simpson Pavilion, to which the lodge is immediately adjacent.

The former Royal Infirmary complex consists of a 1833-40 neo-classical building by Archibald Simpson with later nineteenth century buildings to the rear, on a confined gusset site in Aberdeen city centre. This hospital replaced the earlier Aberdeen Infirmary by William Christall, which opened in 1742, and was demolished on completion of the Simpson Pavilion.

In 1887 a major extension and reconstruction scheme commenced at the Aberdeen Royal Infirmary site. Known as the Jubilee Extension Scheme (as the Queen's Jubilee provided an opportunity to raise funds) new building were erected to the north part of the site to increase medical facilities at the hospital. The lodge is first evident on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map and therefore it is likely to have been constructed as part of the Jubilee scheme designed by W & J Smith and Kelly, with Henry Saxon Snell as consultant.

After the First World War there was urgent need to increase the facilities of the Infirmary. The confined nature of the Woolmanhill site did not lend itself to expansion and in 1923 a site at Forresterhill was acquired with the foundation stone of the new hospital laid in 1928. Although the future of the Woolmanhill site was uncertain from this date, it has remained in operation until 2013.

Previously listed as part of "Aberdeen Royal Infirmary Woolmanhill".

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.