History in Structure

66 High Street (Former Alma Hotel), Ardersier

A Category C Listed Building in Ardersier, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 57.5702 / 57°34'12"N

Longitude: -4.0384 / 4°2'18"W

OS Eastings: 278176

OS Northings: 855176

OS Grid: NH781551

Mapcode National: GBR J8DQ.8VQ

Mapcode Global: WH4FZ.YZ3H

Plus Code: 9C9QHXC6+3J

Entry Name: 66 High Street (Former Alma Hotel), Ardersier

Listing Name: 66 High Street (Former Alma Hotel), Ardersier

Listing Date: 17 April 1986

Last Amended: 9 July 2015

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 405147

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB1747

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200405147

Location: Ardersier

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Culloden and Ardersier

Parish: Ardersier

Traditional County: Inverness-shire

Tagged with: Hotel Hotel building

Find accommodation in


Late 18th century. 2-storey, irregular-plan terraced house (former hotel) with 4-bay east elevation facing the High Street and a canted north gable at the junction of High Street and Stuart Street. All rubble with contrasting tooled ashlar margins. Principal entrance in High Street elevation has a single window to the left and a pair of windows to the right. Regular, longer first floor windows, 1 blind with dummy glazing. North canted gable has 3 ground and 2 first floor windows. There is a projecting 2-storey wing to Stuart Street with a modern single storey extension at re-entrant angle.

Predominantly 4- and 12-pane glazing. End stacks and slate roof, piended at north gable. Mid 20th century single storey concrete extension to the west.

Interior not seen, 2014.

Statement of Interest

Situated in the centre of Ardersier, 66 High Street is a good example of a substantial late 18th century commercial building built in a domestic scale. Comprising two storeys, the building is set on prominent gushet site. It is built from rubble with tooled ashlar margins. As is typical of properties of this period, the first floor windows are set close to the eaves. The footprint of the 18th century building as evident on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1881, which was surveyed in 1878, is still visible.

It is likely that the former hotel building was built as a direct consequence of the construction of the nearby Fort George. According to local knowledge, it was constructed as a look-out post for the roads leading to and from Fort George, and then became an inn in around 1812. It was also a shop, as historic photos of the building show a painted sign above the windows with the words advertising 'chandler', 'tobacco' and 'grocer' services.

The Buildings of Scotland Highlands and Islands volume notes that Ardersier was laid out by the Campbells of Cawdor in the 18th century. Ardersier has its origins in the communities of Stuarton and Campbelltown. Its strategic position close to the narrowest sea crossing across the Moray Firth played a large part in its development from the mid-18th century. While it functioned primarily as a fishing village, the Jacobite Rising had an impact on its history.

The Jacobite Rising of 1745–6 proved to be the last attempt by the Stewart dynasty to regain the British throne from the Hanoverians. Following the Battle of Culloden, the government introduced ruthless measures to suppress Jacobite ambitions. Fort George was one of them, and it was built between 1748-69, just a short distance from Ardersier. It was designed as the main garrison fortress in the Scottish Highlands and named after King George II (1727–60). Intended as an impregnable army base, it was designed on a monumental scale, using sophisticated defence standards, with heavy guns covering every angle. Within the boundary walls was accommodation for a governor, officers, and artillery detachment and a 1,600-strong infantry garrison. It also housed more than 80 guns, a magazine for 2,500 gunpowder barrels, ordnance and provision stores, a brewhouse and a chapel.

The Statistical Account for the parish of Ardersier notes that, 'In the village of Campbelltown, which owes its birth to the garrison of Fort-George, there are 293 souls.' The ordnance survey map of 1881 (surveyed 1878) shows Ardersier under its previous names of Stuarton at the left side of the village, and Campbelltown, at the right side of the village. The village became known officially as Ardersier in the 1970s.

The impact of the building of Fort George for the community was significant. It provided a ready market for goods and a number of soldiers also decided to stay in Ardersier following their commission.

Category changed from B to C, statutory address and listed building record updated in 2015. Previously listed as 'Ardersier Village, 66 High Street, Alma Hotel'.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.