This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.5714 / 57°34'16"N
Longitude: -4.0389 / 4°2'20"W
OS Eastings: 278151
OS Northings: 855309
OS Grid: NH781553
Mapcode National: GBR J8DQ.2NP
Mapcode Global: WH4FZ.XYWL
Entry Name: Memorial Fountain, High Street, Ardersier
Listing Date: 10 June 2015
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 405148
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB52346
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Culloden and Ardersier
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
This is a good surviving example of a near intact commemorative late Victorian drinking fountain, which celebrates the reign of Queen Victoria, produced by the internationally renowned Saracen Foundry in Glasgow. Once a common public utility, the fountain in no longer in use, however it is of a type that is increasingly rare. It is prominently sited and adds to the historic streetscape of the village.
The drinking fountain was erected in circa 1902 in the centre of the small fishing village of Ardersier to commemorate the reign of Queen Victoria. It is not evident on the Ordnance Survey map of 1903, published 1905, however local knowledge indicates that it was in situ soon after 1901.
Public water fountains became increasingly common throughout Britain from the mid-19th century onwards as a means of providing readily accessible clean drinking water, an amenity that was not formerly easily obtainable. A great number of commemorative public monuments were erected soon after Queen Victoria's death, and fountains became popular memorials, many of which were erected by public subscription.
Drinking fountains were a common late Victorian-Edwardian feature in parks and town squares, however their numbers are increasingly limited either due to damage or redundancy and therefore few remain.
The Walter Macfarlane & Co Saracen foundry (1850-1965) was perhaps the most important foundry in Scotland for producing decorative ironwork. Based in Glasgow, the company made a wide range of iron goods, including architectural brattishing, railings, lamps, drinking fountains and bandstands. They exported to many countries within the British Empire. Many items from the foundry were destroyed during the Second World War when iron was recovered for the war effort. The company eventually closed in 1967.
Other nearby listed buildings