This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.958 / 55°57'28"N
Longitude: -3.1494 / 3°8'57"W
OS Eastings: 328337
OS Northings: 674483
OS Grid: NT283744
Mapcode National: GBR 8YC.KQ
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.LHJW
Plus Code: 9C7RXV52+67
Entry Name: Restalrig Parish Church, Restalrig Road South, Edinburgh
Listing Name: Restalrig Parish Church (Church Of Scotland) Including Graveyard, Gatehouse and Boundary Walls and Excluding Scheduled Monument No 90133 ‘St Triduana’s Aisle, Chapel and Wellhouse’, 7 Restalrig Road S
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Last Amended: 7 August 2015
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 405525
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27250
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Craigentinny/Duddingston
Traditional County: Midlothian
Church: North Elevation: vestry advanced, single storey, 4-bay, symmetrical, squared and snecked sandstone, ashlar dressings; pointed arch windows, battered cills, chamfered reveals, buttresses, flat roof obscuring cills of 3 bays to right of nave, blocking course; return to left with round-arched doorway, chamfered surround. Nave, pointed arch 2-light windows, cusped tracery set in splayed margins and battered cills. Corner buttress surmounted by pinnacles.
South Elevation: 4-bay with buttresses in squared sandstone between bays reaching to eaves. St Triduana s Aisle joined to nave at southwest (see below).
East Elevation: gable end, 3-light window with cusped tracery to centre, clasping buttresses.
West Elevation: gable end, porch to centre advanced, 3-light window, cusped tracery set in 3-centred splayed arch with hoodmould. Buttresses. Round-arched doorway with hoodmould in return face to left. Crenellated parapet. 3-light window with cusped tracery to centre of gable wall, bellcote above, clasping buttresses.
All windows with leaded lights. Grey slate, moulded stone skews.
INTERIOR: gallery to west, timber vaulting, war memorial 1922 P R McLaren, stained glass west window 1966 W Wilson, south side 2 lights 1979 S Shaw.
Graveyard containing late 17th century, early 18th century table stone tomb, wall mounted headstones and 18th and 19th century classical gravestones, burial enclosure to south, 1802.
Cottage at south entrance, 2-storey, 3-bay, painted walls, dark tiled gable roof, openings boarded and blocked, dormers at front.
Rubble stone wall to north, east, and south, later brick to west. Square rusticated gatepiers with overhanging cornice and wrought-iron arch to south entrance.
St Triduana was an 8th Century Saint who spent the end of her life in Restalrig. A parish church is on record as existing by 12th century, rebuilt 1487 into collegiate establishment called Deanery of Restalrig. Ordered to be razed December 1560. Some parts of choir walls survived until re-building of 1836. St Triduana s Aisle (see Scheduled Monument No 90133) begun before 1477 when it was endowed by James III becoming the King s Chapel built on two levels with payment for the roof being made in 1486-7.
'St Triduana s Aisle,chapel and wellhouse' is Scheduled Monument No 90133 and is excluded from the listing.
Listed building record and statutory address updated in 2015. Previously listed as '7 Restalrig Road South, Restalrig Parish Church, Church of Scotland, including St Triduana s Aisle, Graveyard, Gatehouse and Boundary Walls.'
Other nearby listed buildings