This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1669 / 56°10'0"N
Longitude: -5.067 / 5°4'1"W
OS Eastings: 209668
OS Northings: 701377
OS Grid: NN096013
Mapcode National: GBR 00.HFP6
Mapcode Global: WH1K2.48D6
Plus Code: 9C8P5W8M+Q5
Entry Name: Strachur Smiddy Museum, Strachur
Listing Name: Strachur Smiddy Museum excluding Forge Cottage and shop to rear of Forge Cottage, Strachur
Listing Date: 29 March 1994
Last Amended: 10 December 2015
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 405902
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18781
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Cowal
Traditional County: Argyllshire
The Smiddy is a single-storey, one-room building, constructed of lime-washed rubble with its gable end facing the road. It has a large, squat, gable-end chimney stack with thackstane, low eaves and a grey slate roof. There is a timber boarded half-door to the northwest elevation with a small-pane fixed window to the left. There is a stone set between the door and window with a small cast iron loop for tying horses. There is a late 19th century lean-to section with corrugated-iron roof to the rear (southeast) elevation.
The interior, seen in 2015, is a single room with a rubble forge with two furnaces and two pairs of bellows. The floor is partly cobbled. Part of the museum collection includes early boring equipment, a fire extinguisher, an anvil and a large collection of smaller blacksmith and farrier tools.
Strachur Smiddy is a rare, largely intact and operational example of a blacksmith's forge, now operating as a local museum. The interior retains many late 18th and 19th century features. The Smiddy contributes to our understanding of rural industrial history in Scotland.
The gable end facing the road and the close proximity of the single window to the low eaves evidences building techniques of the late 18th century in Scotland. The thackstane beneath the chimney stack indicates that the building may have had a thatched roof.
The Smiddy is prominently sited, with its gable end orientated towards the road, on the main thoroughfare through the 'clachan' village of Strachur, situated near Loch Fyne at the north western part of the Cowal Peninsula in Argyll. The Strachur Smiddy was first established around 1790, the period when the Laird of Strachur, General Campbell, was building a large house with parkland to the north of the village. His tradesmens' houses in the village were improved as part of these works with stone walls and slate roofs. Early buildings in Strachur include the Strachan Parish Church built in 1789, and the Clachan Inn (see separate listings). The smiddy stopped operating in 1950, before becoming a working museum in 1997.
In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: Forge Cottage and shop adjoining to rear of Forge Cottage, Strachur.
Statutory address and listed building record revised in 2015. Previously listed as 'The Smiddy'.
Other nearby listed buildings