This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7904 / 55°47'25"N
Longitude: -4.3101 / 4°18'36"W
OS Eastings: 255251
OS Northings: 657644
OS Grid: NS552576
Mapcode National: GBR 3P.8C8Y
Mapcode Global: WH3PF.RQRD
Entry Name: Whitecraigs Railway Station, Ayr Road, Giffnock
Listing Date: 13 July 2015
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 406216
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB52351
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Renfrewshire
Electoral Ward: Newton Mearns South and Eaglesham
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
There is predominantly multi-pane glazing in timber framed windows with top-opening hoppers. There are grey slates to the roof with red ridge tiles and coped ridge stacks.
The interior was seen in 2015. There has been some modification to the interior, particularly to the central section in the 1970s, when a new waiting room and ticket office were created. There remain, however, some timber-lined rooms with simple timber cornicing and with some dentilled details around the former ticket hatch. There is a brick fire surround to the room to the west.
Whitecraigs Railway Station was opened in 1903 and may be by the Glasgow firm of architects, Formans and McCall. The station is notable for having a significant amount of Arts and Crafts decorative detailing, including half-timbering, bargeboards, and wide, overhanging eaves and has retained some of its internal timber features. Unusually for a station that has been in constant use, it has not been substantially altered. Its design is reminiscent of the late 19th century Swiss chalet style stations on the Caledonian Railway and West Highland Railway.
Whitecraigs was a station on the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway Line, which was operated by the Caledonian Railway and ran from Glasgow to Ardrossan with branches to Irvine and to Kilbirnie. The line was opened in 1889 and ran from Barrmill to Ardrossan but was extended between 1893 and 1923 to Newton, in Glasgow. A number of stations were closed in the early part of the 20th century, as railway companies merged and duplicate stations, of which there were a number on the line, were no longer required. Currently, only part of the line from Newton and Neilston remains operational, including Whitecraigs Station.
There is currently no known architect for the building. The architectural practice of Formans and McCall were based on Hope Street in Glasgow and are known to have designed stations for a number of railway companies, including the Callander and Oban Railway and the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway around 1901-2.
Other nearby listed buildings