History in Structure

St Devenick Suspension Bridge, Cults, Aberdeen

A Category B Listed Building in Peterculter, Aberdeen

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 57.1143 / 57°6'51"N

Longitude: -2.1705 / 2°10'13"W

OS Eastings: 389770

OS Northings: 802609

OS Grid: NJ897026

Mapcode National: GBR XM.8V58

Mapcode Global: WH9QW.MFMY

Plus Code: 9C9V4R7H+PQ

Entry Name: St Devenick Suspension Bridge, Cults, Aberdeen

Listing Name: Morrison's bridge over River Dee, Inchgarth Road, Aberdeen

Listing Date: 16 April 1971

Last Amended: 20 October 2016

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 406304

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15733

Building Class: Cultural

Also known as: Aberdeen, Cults, St Devenick Suspension Bridge
St Devenick's Bridge
Morison's Suspension Bridge
Morrison's Suspension Bridge
Morison's Bridge
Morrison's Bridge

ID on this website: 200406304

Location: Peterculter

County: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: Lower Deeside

Parish: Peterculter

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Tagged with: Suspension bridge Footbridge

Find accommodation in


A suspension footbridge from 1836-7 by the Aberdeen architect John Smith, with mirrored tall, rounded and tapered ashlar pylons to the north and south each supporting two cast iron Greek Doric columns with lintels holding the suspension cables. There are masonry abutments to the north and south banks, but as the river has widened, the abutments to the south are situated on an island mid-river. The iron suspension cables have some bar-link chains. The bridge decking was removed in 1984 and the bridge is no longer in use.

Statement of Interest

Dating from 1836-7 and designed by the renowned Aberdeen architect, John Smith, Morrison's Bridge is amongst the earliest surviving examples of suspension bridges in Scotland. The classical design with the cast iron Doric columns on the pylons is unusual and characteristic of Smith's confident use of the neo-classical style in his work.

Age and Rarity

Morrison's Bridge, also known as the 'Shakin Briggie' and St Devenick's Bridge, was constructed in 1836-7 to allow parishioners on the north side of the River Dee access to Banchory -Devenick Kirk on the south side. The bridge was designed by the renowned Aberdeen architect John Smith, and the contractors were John Duffus & Co, Aberdeen for the ironwork, and George Donaldson and George Barclay for the masonry and timber work. It first appears on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, published in 1868.

The bridge replaced a ferry and was paid for by the minister of the church, the Reverend George Morrison. It was extensively repaired in 1920, following flood damage. The church maintained the bridge until 1952 when Aberdeen City Council took over the responsibility.

The River Dee gradually changed its course during the 20th century and the water now flows to the south of the abutments on the south side, with the result that the bridge no longer spans the whole river. Aberdeenshire Council removed the decking in 1984 for safety reasons and the bridge is no longer used.

When it was built, the bridge was 305 feet long, with a central suspension span of 185 feet. There was timber decking and railings. It is described in the New Statistical Account (1834-45) as having '…such a degree of firmness that its motion is scarcely perceptible in the heaviest gales of wind'. The iron-rod suspenders which held the decking were of a type designed and patented by Captain Samuel Brown, who used them for the first time for his Union Bridge across the River Tweed in 1819-20. This was the first road suspension bridge in Britain and is listed at category A (LB13645).

In terms of age, Morrison's Bridge is amongst the earliest surviving examples of its type in Scotland. When considering rarity, it is the early date of 1836-7 which marks this bridge out as of special interest within its building type. In addition, the classical design with its cast iron Doric columns is unusual and characteristic of Smith's confident use of the neo-classical style in his work.

Architectural or Historic Interest

Technological excellence or innovation, material or design quality

Morrison's Bridge is a suspension bridge which used a type of iron-rod suspenders for hanging the timber decking which were based on those developed and patented by Samuel Brown who built the first road suspension bridge in Britain, the Union Bridge. It was constructed in 1819-20 and by the time Morrison's Bridge was constructed in 1837, these iron-rod suspender became the standard form for suspension bridge design.

It is the design of the pylons which marks out Morrison's Bridge as of particular interest in this section. The classical cast iron Doric columns are distinctive and one of only a handful of suspension bridges in Scotland with classical styling.

The Morrison Bridge's solid Greek Doric style is characteristic of Smith's work. John Smith (1781-1852) was a major architect in the northeast of Scotland in the mid 19th century. He was appointed the Superintendent of work for the city of Aberdeen in 1824. His output was extensive and it encompassed all building types. He is described in Colvin (1995) as one of the 'principal creators of the 'granite city' of the nineteenth century'. His North Parish Church (now the Aberdeen Arts Centre and listed at category A, LB19946) is a masterpiece of Greek Revival architecture.

The removal of the decking in 1984 for safety reasons has had an impact on the bridge's level of integrity, but this is not considered to significantly detract from the interest of the structure in listing terms.


Morrison's Bridge is situated over the River Dee with a residential area to the north and looking towards a more rural setting to the south, which is now predominantly a golf course. Although the bridge no longer functions, it is the only bridge structure in this section of the River Dee and the cast-iron columns and suspension cables on the north side are a distinctive and significant feature viewed from the road on the north side of the river. The bridge no longer spans the whole river, but this is not immediately apparent as the abutments to the south are situated on a tree-covered island in the river, which, when viewed from the north, blends in with the rural landscape on the south side.

Regional variations

There are no known regional variations

Close Historical Associations

There are no known associations with a person or event of national importance at present (2016)

Statutory address, listed building record and category of listing changed from A to B in 2016. Previously listed as 'Morrison's Bridge (The Shakkin' Briggie) over River Dee' and 'Morison's Bridge over River Dee'.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.