History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Panbride House, excluding gatelodge to southwest, off Arbroath Road, near Carnoustie

A Category B Listed Building in Carnoustie and District, Angus

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.5073 / 56°30'26"N

Longitude: -2.6878 / 2°41'16"W

OS Eastings: 357763

OS Northings: 735240

OS Grid: NO577352

Mapcode National: GBR VS.9XB7

Mapcode Global: WH7R8.PP9S

Entry Name: Panbride House, excluding gatelodge to southwest, off Arbroath Road, near Carnoustie

Listing Date: 11 June 1971

Last Amended: 9 October 2018

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 407049

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18422

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Panbride

County: Angus

Electoral Ward: Carnoustie and District

Parish: Panbride

Traditional County: Angus

Description

James McLaren, dated 1856. Small Jacobean styled mansion house, two-storey with single-storey wings. Rubble and slate. Interesting interiors.

Statement of Interest

Panbride House was designed by James McLaren for John Dickson. Dickson built the house after he purchased Panbride Bleachfields for £4220 in 1851 (Dumfries and Galloway Standard, 2 July 1851). The bleachfields, for the bleaching of flax yarn, were built in 1841 by Lord Panmure. Panbride House was completed in 1856, as indicated by a dated carved panel on its south elevation.

In the early 20th century Panbride House was owned by Lieutenant Colonel Edwin Houtonville Richardson. Lt Col Richardson pioneered the training of Airedale Terriers for military service. They were trained to locate injured soldiers on the battlefield, sentry work and carry messages and supplied to the trenches in the First World War. His first trained dogs were given to Glasgow Police in 1905 and are believed to be the first official police dogs in the United Kingdom.

Statutory address and listed building record revised in 2018. Previously listed as 'Panbride House'.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.