History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gadlys Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Bagillt, Flintshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2594 / 53°15'33"N

Longitude: -3.1796 / 3°10'46"W

OS Eastings: 321409

OS Northings: 374244

OS Grid: SJ214742

Mapcode National: GBR 6Z7R.FB

Mapcode Global: WH76S.4B5N

Plus Code: 9C5R7R5C+P5

Entry Name: Gadlys Hall

Listing Date: 24 February 1976

Last Amended: 8 December 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 523

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Above Bagillt, about 700m NW of road.

County: Flintshire

Community: Bagillt

Community: Bagillt

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Flint

Exterior

History: Early C17 farmhouse (itself a rebuilding of late medieval timber-framed hall-house) extended and altered in 2 phases, circa 1700, and circa 1735, with bricks made on site. Three storey brick block aligned N-S is C18, wing to rear C17. From early C18 to 1790, house was that of agent for London Lead Company, said to be the first to use coal to smelt lead, and producer of much of the silver for English coinage in the early C18.

Exterior: Aligned N-S is 3-storey block, red brick (shallow brick plinth), but section of yellow stone to R on ground floor; slate roof. Brick chimney to L, similar chimney on ridge.

Five window elevation grouped 3-1-1. Upper floor has 16-pane sash windows set at eaves; first floor has 16-pane horned sashes (cambered heads); on ground floor, two 16-pane horned sashes to L of doorway with bracketed hood (modern panelled door). To R of door, 3 similar windows set in stone walling. Right gable has one window to each floor; small casement to upper floor; ground and first floor 16-pane sashes set towards rear). Small casement window to L gable. Rear has two 16-pane sashes set at eaves, 2 similar windows set at different levels, addition to R.

C17 wing to L, next to C17 wing is 2-light stone mullioned window with dripstone over. At right angles, early C17 farmhouse, yellow sandstone rubble, roof covering lost; one storey plus attic. South elevation has catslide dormer; doorway (blocked) at angle with later house has 4-centred stone head and stone jambs, further doorway to L (small window between), larger window to L. Gable end has window at attic level. North elevation has 2 doorways, one of which is blocked.
Interior: Interior of C17 rear block has 2 cruck trusses, W cruck retains has windbraces in situ; E is arch-braced. Ceiling of rough beams.

Included as interesting example of evolution of dwelling, and for historic interest.

References: Information from NMR, Aberystwyth

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.