This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.969 / 52°58'8"N
Longitude: -3.1698 / 3°10'11"W
OS Eastings: 321533
OS Northings: 341930
OS Grid: SJ215419
Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.JY8Z
Mapcode Global: WH784.8MTS
Entry Name: The Old Bank (including the Lower Range entered from Capel Street
Listing Date: 22 December 1989
Last Amended: 22 December 1989
Source ID: 1101
Building Class: Commercial
Location: On the W corner with Chapel Street.
Built-Up Area: Llangollen
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Dated 1855 and initialled CSR (to rainwater head). Simple classical commercial premises with distinctive rounded corner.
3-storey and attic, 6-window red brick front with steep slate roof and red brick chimney stacks; bracket eaves and freestone dressings including cill bands, lintels and architraves to ground floor. The facade is divided into three 2-window sections with the central one advanced and curved around the corner; gabled dormers to the outer bays; 4 and 6-pane casement windows to 2nd and 1st floors. Cross frame windows to ground floor which has intermittant freestone quoins and entablature. The window architraves have cornices and panelled aprons. The main entrance is to the left of the curved section and has fluted architrave with keystone; two windows squeezed in to right; further entrance to left, both with double panelled doors.
2-storey extension (vertical break in construction) to right facing Chapel Street of similar period and also red brick with hipped slate roof; squared later oriel to 1st floor and 6-pane casement below; 1st floor cill band continues. Paired windows to side elevation over tall pedimented doorcase; panelled door and flanking lamp brackets. Gate piers to coach house at back.
The main entrance hall retains deep bracket cornice with egg and dart and acanthus detail. Panelled mahogany counter furnishings.
Group value with No 4 Berwyn Street, Old Town Hall and Rehoboth Chapel.
Other nearby listed buildings