History in Structure

Canal Museum

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangollen, Denbighshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.972 / 52°58'19"N

Longitude: -3.1705 / 3°10'13"W

OS Eastings: 321491

OS Northings: 342263

OS Grid: SJ214422

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.JY1G

Mapcode Global: WH784.8KHH

Plus Code: 9C4RXRCH+QQ

Entry Name: Canal Museum

Listing Date: 22 December 1989

Last Amended: 22 December 1989

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1225

Building Class: Transport

ID on this website: 300001225

Location: On the towpath immediately to W of the modern road bridge over the canal. Land falls away steeply to rear.

County: Denbighshire

Community: Llangollen

Community: Llangollen

Built-Up Area: Llangollen

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Tagged with: Warehouse Museum building

Find accommodation in
Llansantffraid Glyn Ceiriog


The 6-mile long Llangollen canal had been proposed as early as 1791 as a branch of the canal that was to link Rivers Mersey and Dee with the River Severn. The Act was passed in 1793 with this section constructed under the direction of Thomas Telford. The purpose of the Llangollen branch was primarily that of a feeder to supply the main Ellesmere Canal drawing water off the River Dee at Horseshoe Falls. Work was begun in 1804 and completed in 1808 and in addition provided transport to the slate quarries and the limestone works. In 1846 it became part of the Shropshire Union Railways Company but the following year was taken over by the LNWR. Transport on the canal diminished in late C19 with arrival of the railways and then ceased by 2nd World War. The canal was only kept open because of its importance as a supplier of water to the Shropshire Union Canal, the steam engines at Chester Station and some houses in the Crewe area. Over 6 million gallons a day are metered into the canal at Horseshoe Falls.

This rubble warehouse building at the Llangollen Wharf probably dates from the construction of the canal (1804-8). Later heightened and extended in red brick.


2-storey to centre with slate roof and dentil brick cornice. Full height double boarded doors to centre; window to left below bucket rack. Rubble lean-to at the left with boarded door under cambered arch, modern window on left end. Single storey brick range to right with broad camber headed entry and modern dormer. Modern ticket office to right end and casement windows amd modern additions to rear. Crane on wharf quay.

Reasons for Listing

T Pellow and P Bowen, "Canal to Llangollen", (1988).

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.