This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1407 / 53°8'26"N
Longitude: -3.3231 / 3°19'23"W
OS Eastings: 311592
OS Northings: 361210
OS Grid: SJ115612
Mapcode National: GBR 6R.638J
Mapcode Global: WH778.XBR4
Entry Name: Glan Clwyd
Listing Date: 2 June 1975
Last Amended: 18 August 1999
Source ID: 1292
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located approximately 1km NE of the village of Rhewl at the eastern boundary of the community; accessed via a drive running NE off a lane leading NW from Pont Telpyn.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Early C17 timber-framed storeyed, lateral chimney house with one-and-a-half storey rubble addition, probably of the later C17. The primary section was a 2-unit hall house. A surviving two-door, post-and-panel partition between the hall and outer bay suggests that the inner room was once divided, possibly into an unheated service room and parlour. This primary section was encased and Georgianised in the early C19.
L-shaped storeyed lateral chimney house with timber-framed origins, consisting of a 2-storey primary range (SW) with an early one-and-a-half storey addition. The latter is of whitened rubble, the primary section is encased (probably in brick) and rendered; renewed slate roofs. Large lateral chimney to the main block, with plain stack, and a 2-stage early C19 end chimney to the L gable, its upper section of whitened brick. The main range has a 3-bay late Georgian symmetrical facade. Central entrance with wooden architrave and open pediment; modern small-pane glazed door. Recessed 12-pane sash windows, those to the first floor unhorned; projecting stone sills. The R gable has a modern timber part-casement window to the first floor with a blocked attic light in the gable apex; adjoining the L gable is a modern uPVC conservatory addition. The lower, adjoining wing, has a single-storey gabled porch to the L with C19 4-panel door. To the R is a modern multi-pane wooden window. The upper storey has two C19, 12-pane unhorned sashes contained within gabled dormers with plain bargeboards. The rear of this range has a modern brick porch and entrance with modern windows, as before, including one in a modern gabled dormer. Single-storey modern extension extruded at the gable end. Single rooflight over porch.
Stopped-chamfered beamed ceiling to the former hall, with flat bressummer to large lateral fireplace. Post-and-panel partition screen to the L, with two openings.
Listed for its special interest as a good regional farmhouse with late Georgian external character, having C17 core with fine primary interior detail.
Other nearby listed buildings