This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2835 / 53°17'0"N
Longitude: -3.4199 / 3°25'11"W
OS Eastings: 305434
OS Northings: 377226
OS Grid: SJ054772
Mapcode National: GBR 4ZKG.DN
Mapcode Global: WH76G.FQQM
Entry Name: Plas-is-llan
Listing Date: 16 November 1962
Last Amended: 11 January 2002
Source ID: 1392
Building Class: Domestic
Location: About 1 km west of Cwm Parish Church. The house faces south to a small stone-walled forecourt, and is flanked by its barns
Traditional County: Flintshire
Plas-is-llan is dated 1765 on its main door lintel. It appears to be planned as a formal unity with its two barns, which are probably contemporary, though the single storey links between house and barns were probably added later.
A red-brick house of three storeys and three windows. There is a central full-height rear wing flanked by single storey service rooms under lean-to roofs. The brickwork is in Flemish Bond apart from some English Garden Wall bond in the upper parts at the rear. Slate roof with coped gables including the central pediment and the north rear wing. The chimneys of the main range are rendered, that of the rear wing is in plain brickwork and set back slightly from the gable face.
Symmetrical front elevation with advanced, shallow gabled central bay with lunette window in gable apex. Other windows are in stone with mullions, those of the ground and first storeys also with transoms. The lights of these windows have later inserted timber frames. Stone main door surround with moulded arris and lintel inscribed 'Plas Is Llan / E LL / 1765'.
C19 and later windows to rear, but traces of original stone mullioned windows survive.
A stone single-storey brewhouse or bakehouse is attached to the gable end of the north wing.
Hallway and staircase centrally between main reception rooms. Original staircase with a moulded rail, turned balusters, close string and square newels with cappings. The doors have 2 fielded panels and wrought straps or L hinges carried on lugs. Good early Georgian two-panel door to bedroom in rear wing. Slate flag floor at ground level and oak upper floors. Attics with wide boarded doors.
An unusual model estate farmstead of relatively early date, symmetrically composed with flanking agricultural ranges to the front, the house having retained its historic character; of interest also for the use of brickwork, then a material probably still regarded as indicative of status.
Other nearby listed buildings