This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0378 / 53°2'15"N
Longitude: -2.9577 / 2°57'27"W
OS Eastings: 335878
OS Northings: 349371
OS Grid: SJ358493
Mapcode National: GBR 77.DN1H
Mapcode Global: WH88Z.JXS2
Plus Code: 9C5V22QR+4W
Entry Name: Llwyn Onn Hall Hotel
Listing Date: 7 June 1963
Last Amended: 12 September 1996
Source ID: 1553
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Llwyn Onn Hall Hotel is reached via a private track from the east side of Cefn Road at Pentre Gwyn opposite the junction with Abenbury Road. It has a south-east aspect and is sited in its own grounds
Locality: Llwyn Onn
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Llwyn Onn Hall was until recently the home of the chief family of Wrexham, the Jones's, later the Jones-Parry's, who claimed descent from Tudor Trefor. John Norden's survey of the lordship of Bromfield and Yale of 1620 records Roger Jones as holding "one capital messuage, called llwyn onn" and by 1724 Rate Books record the existence of "New Llwyn Onn," presumably to distinguish it from the present house which can therefore be dated to at least the early part of the C18 although the fabric suggests a building of the C17, though not necessarily that recorded by Norden. The Hall was turned into a Hotel in 1986 with the addition of a managers house, and some internal alterations.
Late C17/early C18 gentry house of cement rendered brick built on a double-pile plan under a slate roof. Three storeys with twelve pane near-flush sash windows to ground under enclosed loggia, and first storeys, six, or nine, pane to the second storey. To the west elevation are three pointed gable ends with stone kneelers to north and south and an enclosed porch with wooden Doric columns surmounted by a deeply moulded entablature. To the south elevation is a recently enclosed loggia formed of seven wooden Doric columns with deeply moulded entablature. To the east a two storey, hexagonal projection of the C19 extends the current dining room and this elevation also contains two painted blind windows. Rear service wing to the north.
Entrance hall leads to a fine full height closed-string wooden staircase with turned balusters, moulded rail, and square newel posts. The staircase wall has contemporary wood panelling to dado height. Dining room retains decorative plaster work to ceiling of acanthus and vine design. Bar retains full height wood panelling including moulded archivolt to large open fireplace. The Jones-Parry room retains a C19 fire-surround.
Listed for its special interest as small country house of C17/C18 origin that retains historic character.
Other nearby listed buildings