This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0516 / 53°3'5"N
Longitude: -3.0203 / 3°1'13"W
OS Eastings: 331701
OS Northings: 350967
OS Grid: SJ317509
Mapcode National: GBR 74.CYMC
Mapcode Global: WH88Y.KKYF
Entry Name: Berse Drelincourt Church
Listing Date: 7 June 1963
Last Amended: 1 December 1995
Source ID: 1566
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Alongside the road, 400m approx. W of the Wrexham by-pass.
Community: Broughton (Brychdyn)
Locality: Berse Drelincourt
Built-Up Area: Wrexham
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The church was founded and endowed in 1742 by Mary Drelincourt, widow of a Dean of Armagh, as a chapel in connection with a girls charity school which had been founded in 1719 and was subsequently endowed by Mrs Drelincourt, and her daughter, Lady Primerose. The church was extended by a bay to the W in 1828, to accommodate family pews for Thomas Hayes of Gatewen Hall, and Thomas Fitzhugh of Plas Power; the original entrance, which had previously been in the centre of the S wall, was later blocked, probably when the SW porch was added in 1930. The church was re-seated in 1862 - the present pews may possibly be of this date.
Roughcast render over brick with stone plinth, angle quoins and moulded stone eaves cornice. Slate roof with louvred bellcote over W gable. Round-arched SW door in gabled porch; original round-arched doorway now blocked, but with keystone and capitals to arch, between the 2 easternmost windows. Above this original entrance a stone is inscribed, 'This Chapel was built and endowed by Mary Drelincourt 1742'. Heavy buttresses to E and W ends. Round-arched windows divided by 2 simple mullions throughout.
Undivided nave and chancel. Flat plastered ceiling with narrow central tunnel vault, and moulded plaster cornice. Simple ceiling roses, one of which incorporates a dove in low relief, indicating the original site of the font (aligned with the now-blocked original doorway). Shell motif in relief over the site of this early doorway. Over the E window is a low relief of an open book with cable-work and cherubs in the frame. Fittings: 2 globe chandeliers - one apparently original to the church, the other of late C17 date, introduced from Wrexham Parish Church c1830. Pews are late C19. Pulpit with fine filigree panel-work was originally in All Saints Church, Southsea, but was moved to Berse when All Saints was demolished, c1985. It is probably the work of Cecil Hare. Wall memorial tablet to Mary Drelincourt: 2 simplified Corinthian pilasters flank the inscription plate. Stained glass in E window, in memory of Meredith Hamer, vicar of the parish between 1881 and 1885.
A rare example of a C18 church building, which has retained its simple Neo-classical character in subsequent enlargement. The building is also of particular historical interest for its association with the school/orphanage at Berse Drelincourt.
Other nearby listed buildings