This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0454 / 53°2'43"N
Longitude: -2.9928 / 2°59'34"W
OS Eastings: 333537
OS Northings: 350251
OS Grid: SJ335502
Mapcode National: GBR 75.D5J9
Mapcode Global: WH88Z.0Q46
Plus Code: 9C5V22W4+5V
Entry Name: Central Arcade
Listing Date: 31 January 1994
Last Amended: 31 January 1994
Source ID: 1843
Building Class: Commercial
Location: On the north side of Hope Street, linking it with the Butchers' Market.
Community: Rhosddu (Rhos-ddu)
Built-Up Area: Wrexham
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Shopping arcade, dated 1891, and built by A. C. Baugh, architect.
Brick with terracotta dressings, slate roof over frontage building, glazed roof to arcade. Frontage building is 3 storeyed with attics, 3 window range with central entrance to arcade flanked on each side by shops. Original shop fronts survive with outer pilasters carrying brackets of continuous fascia. The shop windows, with slender iron glazing bars, survive in right hand unit. Upper storeys divided by full-height pilasters carrying cornice over upper storey. Outer canted oriel windows above, and central paired sashes, with pediment carried on brackets and enriched with terracotta relief. Windows are all 2-pane sashes.
Pedimented attic windows each side of central pediment, which has name (Wrexham Arcade) and date in relief. Dutch gables to either side.
Narrow shops to side of the arcade itself are faced in white brick. Shop fronts renewed in original openings, the beaded fascias surviving. Tripartite windows to upper rooms also largely original, and are separated by pilasters with heavy reeded console brackets. Iron trusses to glazed clerestory roof.
A good example of late C19 arcade development which has retained many elements of the original design.
Other nearby listed buildings