This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0486 / 53°2'55"N
Longitude: -2.9952 / 2°59'42"W
OS Eastings: 333383
OS Northings: 350615
OS Grid: SJ333506
Mapcode National: GBR 75.CYS9
Mapcode Global: WH88Y.YMWQ
Plus Code: 9C5V22X3+FW
Entry Name: Trinity Presbyterian Church of Wales
Listing Date: 31 January 1994
Last Amended: 31 January 1994
Source ID: 1848
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In a triangular site bounded by King Street to the west and Rhosddu Road to the east.
Community: Rhosddu (Rhos-ddu)
Built-Up Area: Wrexham
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Built in 1908, as church with attached halls etc.
Red Ruabon brick with stone dressings and slate roofs with terracotta crestings; Perpendicular style. The church occupies the NE corner of the site, and comprises a nave with aisles and a tower projecting from the W, and an apsidal projection enclosed by the hall building to SW. Entrance in base of tower, which is brick in its lower stages, and stone to bell-chamber stage, with embattled parapet and pyramidal spirelet. 3-bay aisle with 3-light windows, embattled parapet and gable over higher central window. Tower forms 4th bay on W side, balanced to E by cross-gabled additinal bay of aisle to N. WIde N gable with banded stone and polygonal turrets, with 7-light window set high up: art-nouveau lines to tracery, the principal vertical elements continuing as pinnacles either side of gable apex. Windows throghout have simple stained glass emplying art nouveau motifs.
Main hall is at right-angles to the church to the SW of the site, lit by a 5-light traceried window set high in its E wall, and by paired windows at a lower level either side of gabled porch. Vestibule and subsidiary rooms are contained in a parallel range facing King Street: this has central gable with canted bay window, the roofs swept down to either side over entrance (to the right) and wood mullioned and transomed windows. Further rooms contained in asymmetrical rear wings to either side of the hall range.
The site is bounded by a brick wall with stone copings, gate piers with stone bands and caps, the cast-iron gates incorporating decorative panels with art nouveau motifs.
Listed as a good example of early C20 church and hall design using Ruabon brick.
Other nearby listed buildings