This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7243 / 51°43'27"N
Longitude: -3.0029 / 3°0'10"W
OS Eastings: 330822
OS Northings: 203323
OS Grid: SO308033
Mapcode National: GBR J5.2HCZ
Mapcode Global: VH79L.WXVH
Entry Name: Lower House Farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 March 1952
Last Amended: 18 July 2001
Source ID: 2614
Building Class: Domestic
Location: About 300m south east of the Church of St. Illtyd.
Community: Goetre Fawr
Community: Goetre Fawr
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A farmhouse of two builds, the earlier of which, on the left, could be c1600 while the addition to the right is probably mid C17. Interpretation is difficult because the exterior is entirely disguised by pebbledashing and render and the interior has also been greatly changed. The owner reports a datestone over the door 16XX which was covered by the pebbledash, put on before listing in 1952. The house has been entirely rewindowed in the 1990s which reproduce the previous Victorian timber casements.
The main front of the house is smooth rendered on the ground floor up to the plat band and pebbledashed above, the rest is pebbledash, Welsh slate roofs. The separate builds are clearly identifiable by the different shaped roofs but the presumably rubble stone structure is wholly hidden and gives little away. The main elevation has the doorway in the centre, into the end bay of the older part; plain part-glazed door with an elliptical head. To the left is a 2-light casement with 2 2 panes and a 2-light 3 3 casement, both with elliptical heads. These are repeated to the right, with the smaller one on the right. The upper floor has three 2-light casements above the left hand larger window, the door and the right hand smaller window. Roof with a much steeper pitch to the left and an end stack, lower pitch to the right with brick end stack. The left gable has a 2-light casement on the upper floor, the right gable has a 2 over 2 pane sash. Rear elevation not seen. The rear bakehouse wing has a plain door, brick chimney and slate roof on the east side and an asbestos slate roof on the rear.
The interior was only partly seen at resurvey (September 2000) and is extremely difficult to interpret. The original part may be a two unit end entry house of c1600 with the blocked entry hidden in the west gable. The present entry is into the stair compartment which contains a straight flight of C19 stairs with turned balusters. This has been introduced into what would have been the minor room/pantry of the original house but the partition wall does not appear to contain an oak partition. The parlour has oak panelling on the fireplace wall which appears to be C18. It has a 1930s tiled fireplace, so some of the panelling dates from then. The overmantel with dentil cornice is C18 and the flanking doors to the putative entry and firestair as well. The left hand door has a pierced panel above for a ventilated cupboard. Chamfered cross beams with ogee stops. The kitchen has a plain beamed ceiling and a later fireplace. The upper floor and roof were not seen. The roof structures are said to be original; the older part could well have upper crucks, judging by the angle of the roof.
Included as a farmhouse dating from c1600 which despite alteration, has retained much of its historic character.
Other nearby listed buildings