History in Structure

Church of St Cybi

A Grade II* Listed Building in Llangybi, Monmouthshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6655 / 51°39'55"N

Longitude: -2.9064 / 2°54'22"W

OS Eastings: 337410

OS Northings: 196686

OS Grid: ST374966

Mapcode National: GBR J9.69N7

Mapcode Global: VH7B1.KDWM

Plus Code: 9C3VM38V+5F

Entry Name: Church of St Cybi

Listing Date: 18 November 1980

Last Amended: 21 February 2002

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 2669

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Also known as: St Cybi's Church, Llangybi, Monmouthshire

ID on this website: 300002669

Location: In the centre of Llangybi village immediately to the east of The White Hart P.H.

County: Monmouthshire

Town: Pontypool

Community: Llangybi

Community: Llangybi

Built-Up Area: Llangybi

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


There are no datable features earlier than the C15, but it is clear that the Perpendicular windows are inserted into existing walling. Thus the church may well be C13/C14 in essence with the tower a contemporary of the nave or possibly a bit later, as with the chancel. The whole was then refurbished and rewindowed probably in the late C15. It was refurnished in about 1700 but was not restored until 1909-10 when it was done by W H Dashwood Caple who patched the walls and windows and built the south vestry and possibly altered the west gallery. There has been little change to the building since. The noteworthy Adam of Usk, chronicler and papal official, was incumbent in 1423.


The entry to the church is through the west tower. This has a pointed arch of two chamfered orders leading to an internal porch. The tower is square and tapered from a battered base and has had considerable repairs, particularly on the lower of the two stages which rises without windows to a string course. Above this is a slit window for the stairs and, high under the parapet, a 2-light belfry opening with cusped heads and louvres on each face. Projecting string and castellated parapet. The nave gable is almost entirely covered by the tower which it clasps on the south side while the east gable is only slightly higher than the chancel roof. The south wall has a blocked pointed arch door, two 3-light Perpendicular windows with cusped heads, which are largely restored, particularly at the heads and a small rectangular light for the rood stair in a projection. Steeply pitched roof with coped gable. The north wall has, from the left, a projection which houses the rood stair, another 3-light Perpendicular window as before and a 3-light flat-headed window with a dripmould which could be C17.
The south wall of the chancel has a small latticed window, then a lean-to C20 vestry with a casement window and a tall chimney, then a plain window with 3 equal trefoil headed lights restored in 1910. Coped gable with cross. The east gable is partly rendered and has a 3-light Perpendicular window. The north wall is blind.


The interior is plastered and painted throughout with large, probably early C18, cornices to the nave and a plastered barrel vault. Stilted chancel arch. Medieval wall paintings, in part in good condition, especially 'Christ of the Trades' dating from about 1450. There are said to have been eight bells, six dated 1712, one of which was recast in 1907. West gallery of apparently C19 date with organ of 1933. There is no coloured glass. An elaborate, probably early C18, pulpit with relief decoration on the panelling and a sounding board. This may have been cut down from a more elaborate three decker pulpit. The pews are Victorian. Octagonal font with heraldic motifs, dated 1662. The chancel has a wooden ceiling of 1909-10, with a central kingpost. Early C18 communion rail with turned balusters. The fittings are otherwise from 1929 with oak panelling on the east wall. Good wall monuments, including one signed Tyley of Bristol of 1805.

Reasons for Listing

Included and highly graded as a good medieval church which was refitted in the C17 and given a sensitive restoration in 1909-10. It also has group value in the centre of Llangybi village.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* The White Hart P.H.
    At the crossroads in the centre of Llangybi village.
  • II Walnut Tree Cottage
    Immediately to the east of the junction between the Usk-Caerleon road and Park Road In the centre of Llangybi village.
  • II Graigwen
    On the north side of Ton Road about 150m west of the centre of Llangybi village.
  • II* New House
    On the west side of the Usk-Caerleon road at the northern exit of Llangybi village.
  • II Tregrug Barn, including attached stable and cart-shed
    On the east side of the Usk-Caerleon road about 450m north of the centre of Llangybi village.
  • II Penarth House
    Off the west side of the Usk-Caerleon road about 500m south of Llangybi village.
  • II Tregrug Farmhouse
    On the east side of the Usk-Caerleon road about 500m north of the centre of Llangybi village.
  • II South Stable Range at Llangybi Castle Farm
    Approached up a drive off the west side of the Usk-Caerleon road about 800m north of the centre of Llangybi village.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.