This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7442 / 51°44'39"N
Longitude: -2.7251 / 2°43'30"W
OS Eastings: 350032
OS Northings: 205301
OS Grid: SO500053
Mapcode National: GBR JK.1778
Mapcode Global: VH876.QF68
Entry Name: Court Farmhouse
Listing Date: 11 December 1972
Last Amended: 28 February 2001
Source ID: 2759
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the south end of Trellech village about 180m south of the Church of St Nicholas.
Community: Trellech United (Tryleg Unedig)
Community: Trellech United
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
This is said to have been the principal house of the village and was lived in by the Seymours. It is in origin a C17 house with very much larger early C18 additions, and these seem to have been altered in the late C18 and after. The estate was taken over by John Rumsey soon after 1697 and the additions to the house will be due to him. It was downgraded to an ordinary farmhouse in 1846 when the Rumseys left. There is also a mid C19 rear wing.
The house is constructed of coursed squared sandstone which has had most of the cement rendering removed since listing; Welsh slate roof. The main south elevation is of two storeys, five windows, 6 over 6 pane sashes in elliptical heads. The second bay from the left on the ground floor is a modern glazed door with a gabled hood, the fifth bay has a 6-panel door with the two top panels glazed under a gabled hood. To the right of this are two blind bays with sunk panels on both floors and with a wall stack between. The other stacks are at the left hand end and in the centre behind the ridge. To the right of this front is a four window front facing east. This is cement rendered and has a hipped roof with end stacks. The windows are all 6 over 6 pane sashes in elliptical heads. Adjoining and behind this elevation on the north is a mid C19 wing with two 3-light casement windows in elliptical heads. This has a blind gable end and the rear wall has two more 3-light windows on the upper floor only, the ground floor being back-to-earth. In the angle with the main range is a 6 over 6 sash showing that this wing is an extension of an older one. The rear of the main range has a 3-light casement to the left on the upper floor, the ground floor is hidden by a corrugated asbestos roof over the yard. Projecting half-hipped wing in the centre. Under the added roof there are two 2-light windows with reserved chamfers demonstrating the C17 origins of the house. The west gable end of the main range has a projecting two storey porch with 2-light casement windows and a hipped roof. The main gable has a garret window with a 2 over 2 pane sash.
The interior has been considerably altered and appears to have features both from the early and the late C18, including some contemporary fireplaces. The staircase is a late C18 dog-leg with turned balusters and newel posts, a cut string and a ramped softwood handrail. There are two 2-panel early C18 doors on the upper corridor. The kitchen still has its bacon rack.
Included for its special interest as the main C18 house in Trellech village.
Other nearby listed buildings