This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6328 / 51°37'57"N
Longitude: -3.0034 / 3°0'12"W
OS Eastings: 330646
OS Northings: 193137
OS Grid: ST306931
Mapcode National: GBR J5.897G
Mapcode Global: VH7B5.W7K5
Entry Name: The Greenhouse Public House
Listing Date: 1 May 1951
Last Amended: 30 September 2003
Source ID: 3123
Building Class: Commercial
Location: On the roadside just SW of the Church of Saint Michael and All Angels.
Built-Up Area: Cwmbran
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Inn dated 1719 on porch with remarkable rustic relief carving and inscription in Welsh.
Inn, whitewashed rubble stone with stone tiles to close-eaved roofs. Two storeys, double-fronted main range with rendered end stacks and lower added longer range to right of 4 irregular bays, but with corbelled stack on end wall, showing that this too is probably early. Main range has 2 long upper timber casement windows, the left one with transom and top lights and 2 larger lower three-light windows with early C19 hoodmoulds, the right one with transom and top lights. Centre door in remodelled but originally early C18 curved-topped timber porch with leaded roof, and timber tympanum enclosing 1719 plaque with high relief carving of an inn scene, 2 tiny figures smoking pipes, table with glass, candle and mug and inscription 'Y Ty Gwyrdd 1719 Cwrw da/ a seidir i chwi/ Dewch y mewn/ chwi gewch y brofi' (Good beer and cider to you, come in and try). Heavy bobbin turned posts are C20 renewals, heavy moulded side lintels are original. Windows are leaded with iron opening lights, possibly early C18, probably renewed in earlier C19. Door is C20 within C18 moulded frame.
The lower range to left has similar leaded windows: first floor pair, a 6-light, another pair and a 3-light. Ground floor with hoodmoulds: a three-light, a pair (in former door) and a 3-light, blocked door without hoodmould in last bay, all with iron opening lights. End wall has brick corner, but external chimney breast on moulded corbelling looks C18, stack removed. Metal roof vent on ridge.
Interior of main part opened up to a single room with 2 plain chamfered beams. Plank door with iron strap hinges to rear wall in bead-moulded oak frame, set in recess with timber lintel. Stairs up from rear boarded-in.
Included as an early C18 inn with remarkable surviving carved plaque on porch.
Other nearby listed buildings