This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2174 / 53°13'2"N
Longitude: -3.8514 / 3°51'4"W
OS Eastings: 276478
OS Northings: 370532
OS Grid: SH764705
Mapcode National: GBR 62.16Y4
Mapcode Global: WH54C.TD68
Plus Code: 9C5R648X+XF
Entry Name: Maes-y-Castell
Listing Date: 13 October 1966
Last Amended: 21 February 1996
Source ID: 3174
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located approximately 1km W of Caerhun on a rise above the Afon Roe; accessed via a track leading E from a lane running from Llanbedr-y-Cennin to Pontwgan.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The original house was built in 1582 by Captain Edward Williams, High Sheriff of Caernarvonshire in 1570; he added the S chapel to Caerhun Church in 1591and died in 1607. The house was almost entirely rebuilt in 1886, though a fine ceiling was saved from the earlier building and an armorial plaque was incorporated externally. An out-of-character modern porch addition has been added to the S.
Storied house of rubble with some decorative timber framing; slate roofs and plain 2-stage chimneys. The building is L-plan with a W (entrance) range and a N cross-wing; the former has a 2-storey gabled porch with an inset sandstone plaque bearing the arms of Williams and the initials EW and GW (for Edward and Grace Williams). In front of the cross-wing and adjoining to the S, a large single-storey modern porch. The W (garden) side of the cross-wing has two 3-light mullioned and transomed windows to the ground floor flanking an entrance with modern door. Cross-window to first floor at R, with, to the L, a jettied timber-framed section with close-studding; 2 further cross-windows. The remaining openings are modern.
3-bay beamed ceiling to ground floor of W range of high quality; this originally served one room (presumably the hall), though this is now partitioned into 2 rooms. Main and secondary beams and joists are all finely moulded; some re-located panelling survives to both the ground and first floors.
Listed for the special interest of its fine ceiling, described by the Royal Commission as one of the finest examples of its period in the county.
Other nearby listed buildings