History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Caerhun, Conwy

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2087 / 53°12'31"N

Longitude: -3.8571 / 3°51'25"W

OS Eastings: 276072

OS Northings: 369567

OS Grid: SH760695

Mapcode National: GBR 61.1ZGN

Mapcode Global: WH54C.QMH0

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 13 October 1966

Last Amended: 21 February 1996

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 3203

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Prominently located on an elevated slope in the centre of the village, approximately 1km W of the Conwy Road (B5106); set within a circular rubble-walled churchyard.

County: Conwy

Community: Caerhun

Community: Caerhun

Locality: Llanbedr-y-Cennin

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Llanbedr-y-cennin

History

Early religious site, in use since at least the early Medieval period and probably earlier. The present church consists of a continuous nave and chancel with S chapel and S porch additions. The nave is likely to be C13 or C14, though nothing diagnostic survives to allow more accurate dating; the chancel was added or rebuilt in the C15 and the S chapel in the early C16. The wide porch is probably contemporary with this, despite its earlier appearance; the roof includes some recycled timbers. Extensive restoration was carried out in 1842 and included re-roofing in slate (presumably replacing thatch), as well as the replacement, in a bizarre mixture of neo-Norman and Perpendicular styles, of all the windows with the exception of that at the N end of the S chapel's E wall.

Exterior

Rubble construction with rough-dressed gritstone quoins; steeply-pitched slate roof with plain gable crosses to E and S gables. Tall bellcote to W end, corbelled out slightly and with arched bell-opening inscribed 'T 1842 E' above; stone pyramidal capping with surmounting sculpted cross. Beneath the bell-opening, a primitive Crucifixion panel in shallow relief contained within a shallow niche. Triple-light leaded W window with cusped arched heads; shallow returned label with octagonal shaped stops. Three similar 2-light windows to the N side and a further window to the S side to the R of the porch. This has broad flanking walls supporting a slated roof with a wide segmental-arched pegged truss to the opening; slate-flagged floor and plain rubble wall benches. Deeply-recessed inner entrance with slightly-pointed arch; C18/C19 boarded and studded door. The S chapel has its E wall set back slightly from the plane of the chancel E wall. It has a post-Reformation 2-light slate mullioned window with C19 pegged oak, arched frame. To the L, a 2-light C19 window as before, and beyond this, a length of timber is visible in the wall at head height, suggesting a former entrance in this position. C19 3-light mullioned window as before to S gable. The chancel E window is neo-Norman and has a round-arched, roll-moulded opening with flanking columns and foliated cushion capitals.

Interior

Slate flagged floor to continuous nave and chancel; arched-braced collar truss roof with 20 clustered trusses. Plain C19 box pews banked towards W end; C18 wooden box pulpit with stepped access and bearing inscribed initials LBR; plain handrail and balusters. Reading desk in front with 3 raised panels flanked by octagonal pilasters and bearing the initials JER and the date 1724. Early Medieval (C13?) cylindrical stone font with retooled round base and modern pedestal. C18 turned oak communion rails and re-located sections of C18 panelling to chancel. Twin-arched entrance to S chapel, with octagonal dividing pier; simple chamfered base and capital. 2-bay arched-braced collar truss roof with 2 tiers of cusped windbraces. C19 stained glass panel of Christ to E window.

Reasons for Listing

Listed Grade II* for its special interest as a Medieval parish church retaining much of its historic and architectural character.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Church Cottage
    Prominently located at the T-junction at the village centre opposite the Bull Inn; built into the slope of the hill.
  • II Church House
    Prominently located at the T-junction at the village centre opposite the Bull Inn; built into the slope of the hill.
  • II Ye Olde Bull Inn
    Prominently located at the T-junction at the village centre; built into the slope of the hill.
  • II Pen-y-Clogwyn
    Located approximately 0.6km ENE of Llanbedr church in an isolated position adjoining a burial ground to the S; sited slightly above a lane running N from the Capel Salem at Llanbedr, on top of a low r
  • II Tyddyn-y-Coed Farmhouse
    Located approximately 1km S of Llanbedr-y-Cennin on an elevated site set against the E slope of Pen-y-Gaer; accessed via a track leading on from a metalled lane which runs SE from Llanbedr village.
  • II Ffynnon-Bedr Cottage
    Located 1km SE of Llanbedr-y-Cennin church in a field sloping to the W; accessed via an unmetalled track leading W from the lane from Tal-y-Bont to Llanbedr-y-Cennin.
  • II Stable and Cart Range at Ffynnon-Bedr
    Located immediately opposite Ffynnon Bedr Cottage to the W
  • II Barn at Ffynnon-Bedr
    Located immediately SW of Ffynnon Bedr Cottage on a sloping site, its W gable built into the hill.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.