This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3256 / 53°19'32"N
Longitude: -3.837 / 3°50'13"W
OS Eastings: 277744
OS Northings: 382541
OS Grid: SH777825
Mapcode National: GBR 1YNZ.2K
Mapcode Global: WH64Y.1N3V
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 16 March 1976
Last Amended: 6 June 2001
Source ID: 3393
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: About 50m SW of junction with Llewelyn Avenue.
Built-Up Area: Llandudno
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Designed by John Welch, architect. St George's was paid for by the brothers Archibald and William Worthington, lessees of the Old Mine, and consecrated 13 August l840 with the purpose of serving the copper mining community and of superseding the small and isolated parish Church of St Tudno on the Great Orme. The building thus pre-dates the development of Llandudno as a resort. The old parish church of St Tudno on the Great Orme lost its roof in the great storm of 1839. St George's became parish church of Llandudno in 1862.
Church in Early Gothic "lancet" style. Grey stone walls; slate roofs. Nave, chancel, transepts, saddleback W tower. Tower has clock; parapet with dentil course below, paired thin lancet headed belfry openings in arcading in each wall; on ground floor, single light lancet Window in each side wall but, in front wall, a round headed doorway in deep reveals with triangular dripstone over. Nave of four bays with a single lancet light to each bay; gabled buttresses. Chancel with east window of three lancets, set high up; transepts also with triple lancets, and single lancet windows in side walls. To SE, vestries with lean-to roof, and gable to L. To north east of northern transept, there is a single storey later Cl9 (Schoolroom?) wing with stone work of different pattern and with simple triple lancet window in plain reveals in its South west wall.
Spacious interior with arch-braced and queen post roof to nave; boarded dado. Massive plain chamfered arches to chancel and transepts. Gallery at west end of the Nave has octagonal posts and panelled front. Chancel with tiled floor; low iron communion rails. Behind communion table, panels with Lord's Prayer, Creed, and Ten Commandments in Welsh flank St Peter and St Paul. Good stained glass including East window with Christ in Majesty and 12 Apostles; 3 windows of St George in N transept (in memory of J A Walker died 1916); N transept side windows St John the Evangelist and Good Shepherd; S transept Faith Hope & Charity.
Included as early C19 Gothic church relatively little altered within and without. Historic interest in its building by mine owners for pre-resort Welsh-speaking community.
Other nearby listed buildings