This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3226 / 53°19'21"N
Longitude: -3.827 / 3°49'37"W
OS Eastings: 278401
OS Northings: 382183
OS Grid: SH784821
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZQ0.7N
Mapcode Global: WH64Y.5RV6
Plus Code: 9C5R85FF+25
Entry Name: Church of The Holy Trinity, including attached hall
Listing Date: 16 March 1976
Last Amended: 6 June 2001
Source ID: 3428
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In large churchyard on SW side of Mostyn Street
Built-Up Area: Llandudno
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Cornerstone laid 5 July 1865; designed by George Felton, architect to Mostyn Estate, and built in order to accommodate the large numbers of visitors to the new mid C19 resort of Llandudno for which the Church of St George, built in 1840, was proving too small. Land was given by the Mostyn family, and from 1859 funds were raised by private and public subscription. By 1872, £10,000 had been spent; consecration 29 July 1874. Tower erected 1892. The Memorial Chapel dates from 1924. In 1931-32, the chancel was extended.
Gothic style; walls faced externally with stone; slate roofs. Aligned SE-NW, with chancel at SE end. Nave, north-west tower, side aisles with roofs running in a series of gables at right angles to the nave, transepts, south-east memorial chapel, attached to apsidal chancel. Clerestorey windows of three trefoil headed lights in arcading; each bay of side aisles with a gable and a window of two lancet lights with a quatrefoil over them. North-west nave window of four lights; North-west doorway; porch with lean-to roof with centre gabled window and flanking doors against north-west nave wall. North-east three-storey tower with tall paired lancet belfry openings and pierced arcaded parapet with octagonal pinnacles. Transepts each with a tall window of three trefoil headed lights. Chancel with apsidal end with five paired lancet lights. Vestries and hall to south-west of Church linked to the church by a corridor wing with paired lancet headed lights each side of doorway with gable. Hall wing at right angles has triple lancet window in gable facing NW, gabled porch facing SW, and 2-light window under small gable.
Walls faced with yellow brick with lacing courses of black or vitreous brick; ashlar mouldings to windows, arches etc. Nave of lofty proportions with timber-framed and boarded roof with principal rafters on ornately carved stone corbels; nave arches on circular columns with ornate capitals. Timber-framed and boarded roofs to side aisles. Stained glass, eg, in South-west transept, and stained glass window of Christ in Majesty in North-east transept. South-east chapel with South-east window of three lancet lights; oil painting of pieta in Italian style. Chancel walls faced with ashlar; marble floor to sanctuary; reredos and panelling of 1939.
Prominent C19 church on important site in centre of town. Group value with adjacent listed buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings