This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2347 / 53°14'4"N
Longitude: -4.0118 / 4°0'42"W
OS Eastings: 265824
OS Northings: 372739
OS Grid: SH658727
Mapcode National: GBR 5V.09YQ
Mapcode Global: WH543.BYWL
Entry Name: Pen-y-bryn
Listing Date: 22 February 1952
Last Amended: 7 March 2000
Source ID: 3651
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on rising ground above the A 55 on the north-east side of the Afon Aber to the east of the village.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Pen-y-bryn was crown property until 1553 when it was purchased by the Thomas family, initially through the Earl of Pembroke, in an arrangement which was not regularised until 1610. Although the building has been the subject of varying interpretations, it appears that the substantial, roughly circular tower at the west end of the house is mostly medieval and the east wing is mid-C16. The main range of 3 regular bays was built c1600, probably to mark the formalisation of the Thomas family's ownership, and the top stage of the tower added in the late C17. Rear (south) range added in early C18 and small C19 block at back of east wing. Re-slating of the tower roof in 1993 showed that the structure may have been designed for a lead roof but that this was never put in place; the existing slates date from 1875 (date scratched on one slate and on the plaster torching).
Gentry house. Main 2-storey range, aligned roughly east-west and facing north, with a 4-storey circular tower on west and has flush, very slightly lower wing to east; cellars. Very roughly coursed rubblestone with buttered pointing to main and east ranges, rendered to tower, comprising 2 layers, the original a plain clay and plaster render laid directly onto the stonework, overlain by a later roughcast render, which begins above present ground-floor level; slate roofs, graded to main range and tower, with coped verges to gable ends and pendant finial to conical roof of tower. Main range in 3 symmetrical bays has central 2-storey gabled porch (probably formed after 1810 from a former oriel or stair turret) approached by shallow straight flight of steps with low retaining walls; pilastered round-headed entrance arch with keystone and double nail-studded plank doors surmounted by 2-light mullion window with dripstone; narrow rectangular windows with transoms to returns. Gabled dormers with cross-windows breaking eaves on either side of porch with 3-light mullioned and transomed window on lower left and 12-paned sash in moulded stone surround to lower right; square integral end stack on left. Tower has ovolo-moulded cross-window in cavetto-moulded surround on ground floor, a smaller timber cross-window on first floor, a 3-light ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed window on the second floor and on the fourth floor a large canted window made up of 3 cross-window units; all save the outer lights of the canted window with leaded latticed lights as in the main range; integral end stacks terminate in stone shafts on east and west of tower. East range has two 12-paned sashes on first floor and 12-paned sashes of considerably reduced proportions directly below; substantial integral end stack to left. South range has a small probably C16 arch-headed window and a blocked first-floor doorway in gable end.
Inspection not permitted at time of Survey, but said to retain much of its early plan-form and several features of interest. Dog-leg oak staircase in north-east corner of main range has massive moulded and swept handrail, turned balusters to lower flight, and double-square newels with capping. The walls of the tower are square internally, probably as a result of the original walls having been cut back and refaced. First floor of early C18 extension has bolection moulded panelling with cornice.
Included at II* as a well-preserved early C17 gentry house with earlier origins. The unusual late medieval circular tower is a particularly distinctive feature of the house.
Scheduled Ancient Monument (218).
Other nearby listed buildings