This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0056 / 53°0'20"N
Longitude: -4.2711 / 4°16'16"W
OS Eastings: 247706
OS Northings: 347783
OS Grid: SH477477
Mapcode National: GBR 5J.GLY1
Mapcode Global: WH440.CQC5
Entry Name: Pant-glas uchaf
Listing Date: 29 April 1952
Last Amended: 18 January 2000
Source ID: 3680
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The house stands back to the E of the main A487 trunk road from Penygroes to Tremadoc, with its access by farm track off the parallel minor road which now forms the boundary of the Snowdonia National
Locality: Pant Glas
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The building is probably a secondary farm settlement on unenclosed land, marking the expansion of settlement in the uplands in this area in the C16. It consists of a single storey range of 3 structural bays, to which a taller and wider unit was added at the S end, probably in the C17. A rear wing was also added to this unit, perhaps in the early C19, though there is no direct dating evidence. The original layout of the earliest part of the building has been lost but, before conversion in the early 1980s, its recorded use was as a barn, and it contains no features consistent with earlier domestic use. In recent history at least, the building therefore comprised a single unit, storeyed house, at the S end of an apparently earlier agricultural range. Both sections are now in domestic use, following restoration in the early 1980s.
Built of local rubble stonework with the joints flushed up, on boulder foundations, a Twll Llwyd slate roof with one gable end stack with drip courses to the higher southern section, and a second stack added in the 1950s on the junction of this section with the earlier, lower range to the N. Long basalt columnar tie stones bedded in sphagnum are recorded by RCAHMW. The lower range is single storeyed with attic and has a boarded door with chamfered lintel, flanked by small windows in deep reveals, one in original splayed jambs, the other inserted. 2-light casement windows and gabled dormer in rear wall also inserted. The higher S section has timber door with 2-light casement windows, one to each floor (unaligned) set deeply in reveals. The upper window is in a simple dormer, originally with a cat-slide roof, and gabled c1890. Later rear wing (partially reconstructed) with lean-to conservatory added in 1980s renovation work.
The S section of the present house comprises one room on each floor: ground floor has 3 chamfered cross ceiling beams and deep stop chamfered joists; gable end fireplace with a high set lintel and broach chamfer stops, and stone spiral stair on right. Slate floor. Upper room has tapered principal roof truss with high-set collar carrying 2 purlins each side. The E principal was inscribed at some later date 1562 / RW. Doorway near front wall of main ground floor room opens onto N range, but the internal arrangement of this section is the result of 1980s work: however, the original roof timbers survive: 2 trusses with morticed collars.
Included as a small upland farmstead of early origin, the building retains good vernacular character, with some original internal detail, and has been sensitively restored.
Other nearby listed buildings