This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1735 / 53°10'24"N
Longitude: -4.0572 / 4°3'25"W
OS Eastings: 262594
OS Northings: 366023
OS Grid: SH625660
Mapcode National: GBR 5S.44WV
Mapcode Global: WH54G.NH6G
Plus Code: 9C5Q5WFV+C4
Entry Name: Ty John Iorc
Listing Date: 12 June 1950
Last Amended: 25 April 1997
Source ID: 3813
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated in cul-de-sac off B 4409 road which runs W from A 5 S of Bethesda, to Penrhyn Quarries.
Built-Up Area: Bethesda
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Later C15 hall-house, inserted stack and floors C17. NE end two bays demolished c1900, exterior detail all altered cl978 and extension built on site of demolished part. The reputed hiding place of Archbishop Williams of York in Civil War. Just behind is the site of a small medieval tower, possibly the Twr Abercaseg mentioned in 1254 that guarded the Ogwen crossing and approach to Nant Frangcon. Tower is mentioned as transferred to the Griffiths of Penrhyn 1458 and house probably replaced it shortly after. Mentioned in will of 1511.
Whitewashed rendered walls, slate roof raised to rear cl978, and at slightly lower level on rebuilt left end. Massive rubble stone C17 diagonal stack on rear roof slope, at join between two sections. Two-storey front, old part to right with two C19 slate-block raking buttresses. Of original left end only a lean-to was left by 1915, on site of present door. As rebuilt c1978, left section has 2 square windows above, one below to left and door to right. Right section has buttress, then small square ground floor window, then small pointed first floor window, then larger square ground floor window against second buttress. To right, ground floor rectangular window and small square window under eaves above, not quite aligned.
All the glazing is C20. A photograph taken c1946 shows the exterior before alterations, but does show that most of the windows retain their former size. Front is rubble stone, left end lean-to has 12-pane sash. Main range has a nine-pane sash in window to right of first buttress, crude Gothic casement pair in pointed window, and door in site of larger ground floor window. This was a plank door with 15-paned overlight. To right, ground floor window was a 9-pane sash, and little eaves window was a casement pair.
Rear roof is raised up with C20 windows on former wall-plate. W end has another raking buttress and C20 weatherboard in gable. Rear NE outbuilding much altered, but possibly of early date as lower walls are said to be keyed in.
Former 2-bay open hall with parlour to W, and entrance passage probably in present position. Door has curved right oak jamb in wall. Entry backs onto massive C17 fireplace inserted into hall, with 3.3m chamfered oak lintel. Stone winding stair cut into wall by fireplace entry, presumably C17. C17 inserted ceiling with heavy axial beam, wall beams, and squared joists with varied chamfered and ogee stops. Main beam rests on heavy post and panel partition, with openings each end, that to left possibly original. Posts are numbered 4 to 8. Unheated parlour beyond has beam against end wall, cut-back for former ladder access to loft. Slots in window lintel for shutters. Upper floor has two massive cruck trusses, the feet buried in ground floor walls. No evidence that crucks represent an earlier timber-frame building. Double massive purlins and evidence of patterned windbracing, one carved windbrace survives.
A rare substantially surviving C15 open hall, with upper end partition and C17 inserted floor and chimney.
Other nearby listed buildings