This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.941 / 52°56'27"N
Longitude: -4.1386 / 4°8'19"W
OS Eastings: 256382
OS Northings: 340320
OS Grid: SH563403
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.LP5D
Mapcode Global: WH55L.DBGP
Entry Name: Tremadog Manufactory
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 4449
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Set back on the N side of the A498 approximately 500m ENE of Tremadog Market Square.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built in 1805 close to William Madocks' new town of Tremadog. The mill was working by 1806 when water power was introduced to power 2 carding engines. It was one of the earliest integrated woollen mills in Wales, combining carding, spinning and weaving (the latter having previously been domestic work), and was served by a nearby fulling mill. Madocks soon withdrew from direct involvement and sold the mill in 1810, at which time it made 30 'ends' a week of 'mixed and medley cloth, kersey meres, woollen cords, coatings, flannels and woollen goods of every description', and its chief market during that time was said to be 'fabric for soldiers' clothing'. The mill continued to make coarse cloth until closure in 1816. From c1835 it was a tannery and then became a laundry, but has been disused since the latter part of the C20.
A 5-storey 5-bay mill of coursed rubble stone in large quarried blocks, a shallow hipped roof of corrugated metal, and stone end stacks. Openings have wedge lintels and have been boarded over, except the upper L-hand window which is partially blocked. In the lower storey are 4 doorways and a window at the R end. In the R end wall is the shadow and stub wall of a former gabled projection. In the 2-window L side wall, above the adjoining Bronhaul, are windows in the 3rd, 4th and 5th storeys, similar to the front but smaller. The rear is only 3 storeys high as the ground level is much higher. In the central bay are double boarded doors under an overlight now boarded up, heightened from an original opening and with a timber lintel. To its L is a recessed boarded door with window, and a window in the L end bay. To the R of centre is a window inserted into an original but blocked double doorway, and further R a similar blocked doorway in the R end bay.
Not accessible at the time of survey.
Listed grade II* for its special interest as one of the earliest surviving integrated woollen mills, representing the industrialisation of a former domestic craft, as the centrepiece of industrial development at Tremadog and for its contribution to the historical integrity of the town.
Other nearby listed buildings