This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9168 / 52°55'0"N
Longitude: -4.5135 / 4°30'48"W
OS Eastings: 231100
OS Northings: 338445
OS Grid: SH311384
Mapcode National: GBR 56.N81M
Mapcode Global: WH448.MYX9
Entry Name: E Farmyard Range including water-wheel at Nant Farm
Listing Date: 1 March 1989
Last Amended: 15 July 1998
Source ID: 4616
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Situated immediately S of, and attached to, Nant Farmhouse, located some 160m S of the junction of the A497 and the B4354.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Early C19 range of farm buildings contemporary with farmhouse and part of an L-plan group that also includes the separately listed range across the S end of the farmyard. Formerly part of the Newborough Estate at Boduan. Marked on OS Drawings for 1816-19, and also on 1840 Tithe Map for Boduan parish.
Linear group of single-storey farm buildings, attached to service range at S end of farmhouse. Granite rubble stone with slate roofs. Part of an L-plan layout with stable, mill-room and wheel-pit, and barn in this W-facing range in line with house. The attached N-facing cow-house and cart shed listed separately. Granite rubble walls, and slated gabled roofs with shallow eaves. Stable has window, door and window under eaves, the windows with the typical Glynllifon Estate slatted or boarded lower half and small-paned upper half. To centre of range is low door to mill-room. Barn to right has tall boarded door in centre and 2 loops to right. Mill tail-race is culverted under farmyard.
Barn has threshing floor with stone flags to each side, and two rear doors, one leads to mill room. 3-bay roof with some replaced timbers. Boarded door to wheel pit with race channelled from mill pond at rear. Overshot water wheel with timber buckets and wheel-pit, located in cross-passage. Stables have boxes for three horses with fittings and cobbled floor. Boarded partition with mill room and connecting door. Stone flagged floor and loft over. Water wheel machinery with two toothed wheels and gear lever. Gorse mill removed. The wheel also drives a shaft that projects through the barn wall and along its full length with pulleys driving threshing and winnowing machines, controlled by a lower wheel.
Included as part of a good, well-preserved example of a farmstead group, with farmhouse and S farmyard range, and of special interest for the surviving mill machinery.
Other nearby listed buildings