History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Diffwys Railway Station (now public toilets)

A Grade II Listed Building in Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9949 / 52°59'41"N

Longitude: -3.9346 / 3°56'4"W

OS Eastings: 270251

OS Northings: 345925

OS Grid: SH702459

Mapcode National: GBR 5Y.HBPR

Mapcode Global: WH559.JZLF

Plus Code: 9C4RX3V8+X5

Entry Name: Former Diffwys Railway Station (now public toilets)

Listing Date: 28 June 1988

Last Amended: 1 February 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5208

Building Class: Miscellaneous

Location: Located in an open car park (former railway yard) off the High Street.

County: Gwynedd

Community: Ffestiniog

Community: Ffestiniog

Locality: Blaenau Ffestiniog

Built-Up Area: Blaenau Ffestiniog

Traditional County: Merionethshire

Find accommodation in
Blaenau-Ffestiniog

History

Opened in the summer of 1866 as a terminus on the narrow gauge Porthmadog- Ffestiniog railway (later run by LNWR company). In use until 1932 and converted to public toilets 2 years later.

Exterior

Small-scale, single-storey symmetrical front with outer advanced gabled wings. Snecked rubble with dressed quoins and moulded string course over centre openings; yellow brick surrounds. Slate roof with fish-scale patterning, clay ridge tiles and red/yellow patterned brick stacks. Ironwork cusping to bargeboards. Slate gable plaques with Prince of Wales feathers carved by Robert Roberts, poet and carver, over cambered and droved lintels to recessed boarded doorways; modern doors. The central section has a modern arched disabled entrance flanked by original sash windows. Arched doorways to blocked inner angle matched by oculus over ticket opening with slate cill. Modern Victorian-style bracketed lamps above doors. Modern brick forecourt with iron bollards. Single rear opening with toothed surround; double boarded doors. Gothic-headed sash window to W gable end.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special interest as a former railway station associated with the local slate industry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Tai Uncorn
    Set back behind a low walled garden on a slight rise at the NE end of the street.
  • II Tai Uncorn
    Set back behind a low walled garden on a slight rise at the NE end of the street.
  • II Masonic Hall
    Ffestiniog
  • II Former Vicarage
    On the street line opposite St. David's Church and stepped-up from and adjoining Craigbach 3; set behind contemporary spearheaded railings.
  • II Craigbach
    On the street line opposite St. David's Church.
  • II Workshop of R.L. Jones & Son
    Facing the street at the S end of the High Street, on a narrow plot with steep rock face behind.
  • II Old Market Hall
    On the SW side of the parish church and immediately N of the railway line.
  • II Cwm Bowydd Farmhouse
    Located in the Bowydd valley bottom about 1km S of the town centre; accessed via a metalled farm track leading off from the Cwmbowydd road at its termination.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.