This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0389 / 53°2'20"N
Longitude: -3.8063 / 3°48'22"W
OS Eastings: 278989
OS Northings: 350594
OS Grid: SH789505
Mapcode National: GBR 63.DKXH
Mapcode Global: WH669.HWQ6
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Tudclud
Listing Date: 17 July 1992
Last Amended: 17 July 1992
Source ID: 5909
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Set in large walled churchyard to NE of Gethin Square.
Community: Bro Machno
Community: Bro Machno
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built following demolition of old church c1857: architects Lloyd-Williams and Underwood of Denbigh. Building financed by Col Edward Douglas-Pennant who had purchased Ysbty Estate in 1856.
Small church in simple mid C19 Decorated Gothic style. Grey rubble, golden limestone dressings. slate roofs. Nave of 5 bays of trefoiled lancets; lower 2-bay chancel. Belcote at W gable. Buttressed north porch. South side has broad arched opening (modern glazing) formerly to (demolished) transept. Two windows to W end trefoiled with hoodmoulds and head stops. East window of 3-lights with geometrical tracery. Vestry in S angle between nave and chancel.
Near S corner of churchyard (to W of Post Office) is war memorial. Polished red granite obelisk with inscribed names of those lost in World Wars of 1914-1918 and 1939-1945. Obelisk is elevated on stone plinth and behind cast-iron railings. The plinth is hammer-dressed grey stone with square-sectioned urn finials to end piers.
Aisleless nave. Chancel arch and broad arch to former S transept have alternating voussoirs of dark and pale stone. Steeply-pitched arch-braced roof with wall-posts on stone corbels. Chancel has 2 windows to N; single window and door to vestry to S. Simple C12 font on square base. Near font, on N wall of church is medieval stone grave slab from from old church and graveyard. The church contains the Penmachno Stones, inscribed Early Christian stones dating from 5th to 9th Centuries, brought from various locations in the parish. Four of the stones are mounted on the N wall of the chancel; a further stone is mounted near the font.
The Penmachno Inscribed Stones are Scheduled Monument, Cadw Ref No Cn 182.
Other nearby listed buildings