This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8212 / 51°49'16"N
Longitude: -4.803 / 4°48'10"W
OS Eastings: 206917
OS Northings: 217339
OS Grid: SN069173
Mapcode National: GBR CS.WKB7
Mapcode Global: VH2NY.PHQ6
Entry Name: Wall with Tower and adjacent Pavement at Llawhaden House
Listing Date: 21 June 1971
Last Amended: 11 August 1997
Source ID: 6069
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the S side of the main street of Llawhaden Village, opposite to Llawhaden House.
Community: Llawhaden (Llanhuadain)
Locality: Llawhaden Village
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The wall appears to be of two periods. A local tradition exists to the effect that the wall was built by Royalist prisoners after their defeat at the battle of Colby Moor (1645). If true, it dates one portion of the wall only.
There is also a date stone: it is built into the rear of the E portion of the wall, but is said to have been positioned formerly over the entrance at the extreme E end. This appears to date the eastern portion. The inscription is: 'This wall was built in 1691 in X weeks by William Skyrm(e) esq. Ll.B., D.D. with Thomas Matthews R S Evans H V Ferrier masons'. The reading of the masons' names may not be exact.
A wall about 130 m long, apparently built in two periods. The W three-fifths of its length is built of rubble masonry. The remainder, to the E, is in masonry brought to courses. The latter section includes the date-stone.
At the E the wall returns to form the boundary with New Inn. At the W the wall returns to abut Ashgrove. In the middle of the rubble-masonry part there is a tower or gazebo, too thickly overgrown to be examined. At the E end there is a double gateway with timber gates.
At the front of the wall there is a raised stone pavement. This important and rare survival may be contemporary with the 1691 part of the work.
Listed as a fine C17 garden wall with adjacent roadside pavement. Also listed for Group Value with Llawhaden House.
Other nearby listed buildings